Lichen Sclerosus

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jabax1824

by jabax1824 on Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Lichen Sclerosus

Not sure if this is what I have. For the past few months I have suffered horrendous itching, especially at night. I must scratch in my sleep and then it is very painful and sore. I have tried lots of mild creams such as zinc & castor oil, E45 and even Bepanthen which give temporary relief, but just as I think things are getting better it flares up again. I have detrusor instability, so often have to wear pads, and I’m not sure if this makes things worse. I have been able to manage without these due to lockdown, but not sure it has made any difference. Not sure if what I have is Lichen Sclerosus as there are no white patches, just rather red skin around the perimeter of the labia. I have never bothered my GP with this as I rarely visit, and when I do I seem to be fobbed off despite having several chronic conditions. I put up with a lot of pain just so that I don’t have to put up with a negative visit so have not wanted to go with this if there is a way of dealing with it at home.

Dr Jane Sterling

by Dr Jane Sterling on Mon May 11, 2020 4:52 pm

Re: Lichen Sclerosus

It is difficult for a doctor to diagnose lichen sclerosus without examining the skin, so it is important that you are seen by your local doctor and that the skin of the area is examined properly. The other problem that can cause a lot of itching in the area is thrush (candida) which can sometimes be diagnosed by examination, but certainly by taking a swab sample to send to the lab. Eczema in the area is another possibility and as you wear pads, this can be a trigger factor. I do urge you to see your GP and to concentrate on this particular problem. If you have other medical problems, try and save those for a second visit, so that your GP can focus on this particular difficulty.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts