Should I moisturise?

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue May 12, 2020 10:48 am

Should I moisturise?

Lichen Scerosis, drives me up the wall with the itching, can't help but scratch, then am sore. I have it front and back, so sore when I sit down.
I wash with Dermol in the shower..should I moisturise first or put dermovate on first? Could you please tell is this linked to my underactive thyroid?
Wish it would disappear, as I now have diabetes type 2.
Linda
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Jane Sterling

by Dr Jane Sterling on Tue May 12, 2020 2:42 pm

Re: Should I moisturise?

It can certainly be confusing when you are given more than one cream or ointment to use - which for where and in what order? The 2 main parts of treatment for lichen sclerosus are an anti-inflammatory cream to counteract the inflammation (usually a topical steroid cream or ointment) and one or more moisturisers to add some extra protection to the skin that is made more fragile by the lichen sclerosus process.
Dermol in the shower or bath is a soft and easy to use moisturiser, but often not greasy enough (and therefore not protective enough) compared to some other creams. You may find that a slightly greasier cream is better as a leave-on moisturiser. There are many available, some often come in pumps (creams) or in large tubs (ointments). These can be applied after a bath or shower and as many times a day as you wish. If you are using a steroid ointment (such as Dermovate) then that will act as a moisturiser at that time. If it does not feel moisturised enough, then apply the rich moisturiser a little later.
Lichen sclerosus is more common in people who have an immune system that is more active in causing auto-immune disorders (such as thyroid disease) and so the two problems can sometimes be found in the same person. Diabetes type 2 has other causes, such as diet and weight, but type 1 diabetes (the type that starts early and always needs insulin) is another autoimmune-driven disorder.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts