Lichen Sclerosis

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Katie1975

by Katie1975 on Tue May 12, 2020 11:59 am

Lichen Sclerosis

I am 78 yr female type 1 diabetic for 44 yrs .
I was diagnosed with said condition a few years ago around the groin and vagina back and front.
I was prescribed Dermavate and dermawash.
It becomes unbearable at times, itching,dryness,etc
Dermavate must only be used sparingly,and relieves for short time used as well as moisturizer.
I would be grateful for any other remedies.

Dr Jane Sterling

by Dr Jane Sterling on Tue May 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Re: Lichen Sclerosis

Lichen sclerosus and diabetes (type1) do sometimes occur in the same person. Diabetes also means that you need to be on the look-out for thrush (candida) that can also make you itchy and sore. Of course anyone can get thrush and having lichen sclerosis does not mean you are any less likely or more likely than anyone else to get it from time to time. That is always worth bearing in mind, although the lichen sclerosus can cause the same symptoms.
It does sound as if you are not having quite enough treatment or perhaps not quite best treatment for you. Dermovate is the strongest strength of steroid cream or ointment, and it is too strong to be used every day forever, as it will thin the skin too much. So you are quite right that it should be used carefully. However, it can be wound down to a once a week maintenance or perhaps you may find that a weaker strength of steroid would be just as good for you, but safer to use as long-term treatment. It would depend on how active your lichen sclerosus is. Perhaps a visit to your GP would be a good idea to plan for maintenance treatment to keep things under control for as long as possible, whilst keeping the inflammation down and not using too much steroid. It can be a difficult balance.
Certainly a rich moisturiser is something that you can use more freely. This is important when washing, but also at other times of the day, to help give the skin a little extra protection from moisture, friction and drying. Find one that you like and then use it very regularly - at least twice a day and more frequently if the skin still feels dry.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts