Elocon usage and lichen sclerosus

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
new2this51

by new2this51 on Tue May 12, 2020 2:04 pm

Elocon usage and lichen sclerosus

Hello, two weeks ago I was diagnosed with lichen schelrosus. I have discolouration of my area around my clitoris which seems to be improving with the prescription of Elocon that I was given by the GP to apply daily, Today I have my 2 week review with the GP and she says I should discontinue use unless I get another flare up, does this sound right? I thought I was supposed to use a maintenance dose to lower the risk of vulva cancer and to avoid new flare ups. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Jane Sterling

by Dr Jane Sterling on Tue May 12, 2020 3:18 pm

Re: Elocon usage and lichen sclerosus

The question of how long to use a steroid cream or ointment, what strength to use and whether to stop and start or use longer term is always a difficult one to answer. It rather depends on how active the lichen sclerosus is at any one time. I would normally suggest using the steroid on the skin for a month and then winding down the frequency of application. That is safe and would control the inflammation for the course of treatment.
If the lichen sclerosus has settled down very well after just 2 weeks of treatment, it may be that your LS was mild and has responded rapidly. However, lichen sclerosus rarely disappears completely after just 2 weeks. It would be a good idea to keep an eye on your skin, monitor symptoms and see your GP again if you feel that you are not keeping things under control. Although we have heard this argument with COVID, I am going to say that treatment of lichen sclerosus is a marathon, not a sprint, and you and the GP will learn how to best treat your version of this skin condition.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts