Elocon usage and lichen sclerosus

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
new2this51

by new2this51 on Tue May 12, 2020 3:29 pm

Elocon usage and lichen sclerosus

Hello, two weeks ago I was diagnosed with lichen schelrosus. I have discolouration of my area around my clitoris which seems to be improving with the prescription of Elocon that I was given by the GP to apply daily, Today I have my 2 week review with the GP and she says I should discontinue use unless I get another flare up, does this sound right? I thought I was supposed to use a maintenance dose to lower the risk of vulva cancer and to avoid new flare ups. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Nevianna Bordet

by Dr Nevianna Bordet on Tue May 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Re: Elocon usage and lichen sclerosus

Lichen sclerosus can cause white or pale areas to appear on the vulva so I assume this is what you mean by "discolouration". Elocon would typically be prescribed daily for 1 month and then weaned off slowly (e.g. alternate days for 1 month and then twice weekly for the third month). However, I cannot comment on whether you should continue to use it when your doctor has asked you to stop as I have not examined you. If you are not certain, you should discuss this with your own doctor. If all the changes have resolved and you no longer have any symptoms than it may be sensible to stop treatment and re-start if the LS recurs, but some patients chose to stay on some maintenance treatment to prevent the LS from coming back. How often and which cream you use is determined by how severe the LS has been and how often you have flare-ups of the condition. Even if you stop treatment and you have no symptoms, you should examine yourself or be examined by a doctor on an annual basis to ensure the LS is not active and that you are monitored for the very small risk of vulval cancer.
Dr Nevianna Bordet
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bordet.php

2 posts