LS

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Nunafb82

by Nunafb82 on Thu May 14, 2020 11:58 pm

LS

I was recently diagnosed with LS although I am still not quite sure if it LS or LP. Anyway because they are treated the same way it doesn't probably matter much. My question is for a week now when I am applying the ointment on my vulva it burns my skin for about 10 seconds. After that no pain or burning sensation. Why is this happening because this is new and didn't happen when I was applying the ointment. Also I suffer with thrush every month after my periods and have to treat it every month. What is your best advice how to treat myself. I have treated myself for thrush for the past 9 month. Can I prevent it somehow during my periods? Finally can LS or LP get worse silently? I mean if no itching no burning sensation or anything can it still be active without noticing?
Many thanks.

Dr Karen Gibbon

by Dr Karen Gibbon on Tue May 19, 2020 3:38 pm

Re: LS

I was recently diagnosed with LS although I am still not quite sure if it LS or LP. Anyway because they are treated the same way it doesn't probably matter much. My question is for a week now when I am applying the ointment on my vulva it burns my skin for about 10 seconds. After that no pain or burning sensation. Why is this happening because this is new and didn't happen when I was applying the ointment.

I have broken up your questions into sections - so I can answer them separately. it is not uncommon as the skin starts to heal with topical steroid therapy to get a transient burning sensation. I expect it will gradually settle and isn't a sign of an allergy or adverse side-effect of the therapy. Some people find that applying an ointment based emollient first before the steroid ointment makes it feel less stinging.

Also I suffer with thrush every month after my periods and have to treat it every month. What is your best advice how to treat myself.

Is it thrush is my first thought? If there is a discharge and itching then it can be best helped with oral fluconazole 150mg single tablet. your GP can prescribe this for you.
I have treated myself for thrush for the past 9 month. Can I prevent it somehow during my periods?

Taking a monthly tablet will often prevent you getting thrush back so frequently.

Finally can LS or LP get worse silently? I mean if no itching no burning sensation or anything can it still be active without noticing?

This is a difficult area to answer but yes in some women it can appear to progress 'silently' with more scarring. It is therefore important to treat the active inflammation and then have a maintenance treatment programme eg topical steroid twice a week combined with your emollient twice daily for several months. Review with a dermatologist or your GP combined with monthly self examination can allow you to monitor this issue if it concerns you.
Dr Karen Gibbon
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... gibbon.php

2 posts