Wake many times during the night

Post your questions regarding sleep and mental health here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Wake many times during the night

Hi There,
I have auto-immune diseases - Sjogren's and Arthritis etc.
Sleep is really difficult due to pain, my skin expelling buckets of moisture and not being able to get comfortable.
I have no difficulty falling asleep and I go straight into dreams which are extremely detailed and bizzare.
I will wake up many times during the night and then go back and continue my dream.
I sleep between 2 and 4 hours a night. As I have little energy, my lack of sleep really impacts my days.
I have tried relaxation, body scan CD, smells, balms, special sheets, pillows and a wool duvet. Pills did not help so I am now at a loss as to what to do for the best.
This has been going on about 10 years since I had to stop working due to illness.
Regards,
Heidi
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Neil Stanley

by Dr Neil Stanley on Thu May 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: Wake many times during the night

Hi Heidi thanks for your question. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia may be of some use in improving you sleep. This can be done digitally and is available by prescription in England. But this would need to be coupled with appropriate treatment of your pain, with medications that do not disturb your sleep, because some pain medication can do so. Improvement in sleep should help reduce your waking at night which will also reduce the number of dreams you experience.
Dr Neil Stanley
Independent Freelance Sleep Expert

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... tanley.php

2 posts