Adult Acne

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

58 posts
Cara Voller

by Cara Voller on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Adult Acne

Tessy - I think you probably have great friends but I'm sure it doesnt matter to them about your acne, firstly, they know who you are on the inside and secondly, we all percieve our acne as worse than others see it.

SecretB5StopsAcne

by SecretB5StopsAcne on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:19 am

Acne is the most common skin complaint under the sun. And it is not restricted to teenagers. Adult acne is a common but rarely discussed complaint that is thought to affect around 25% of adult men and up to 50% of adult women at some time in their adult lives. And adult acne treatment is often sought although the cause, namely the existence of the acne, is rarely talked about. Adult acne treatment is very common. As with other types of acne including teenage acne, the exact causes of adult acne remain unknown, but are thought to relate to hormonal imbalances.

XLizzieX

by XLizzieX on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:27 am

Hi

I am 54 years of age and still have oily skin and acne!

I didn't get it until I was about 26. Anti-biotics worked for me but the acne came back when I stopped them. I was offered the roaccutane (sp) but refused because of the side effects and the fact that it was a guarantee.

How on earth can a woman be 7-8 years passed the meno-pause and still have friggin acne ffs! What I eat doesn't make any difference, I only drink water or tea. I even have spots in my head!

I cannot believe that quadriple by-pass operations are performed daily as are brain ops but they cannot do anything about over-active sebum glands! At the moment my chest is the worst, but my face has loads of those little itchy spots. Of course I have all the pits and scars along with the oil and acne. I won't go out because I am so disgusted, not with myself because I know it's not my fault but just with the way I look.

Too little money is spent by the government on this type of disorder just because it doesn't kill you, well it hasn't stopped my heart, but it has killed me in a roundabout way!

Lizzie

SecretB5StopsAcne

by SecretB5StopsAcne on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 am

My name is Seppo Puusa but my friends call me Sepsi. Few years back I was in a same situation that you are. Pimples blossomed freely on my face and the silent desperation weighted on my self-esteem and life. Look at me now and you'll see a clear, radiant skin, healthy smile and a much happier person. It took me quite a few years of devoted research, learning and experimenting. I started by reading through what causes adult acne section. To cure acne you have to know what caused it. It sets the base for everything else.

Kay_L

by Kay_L on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Just joined, and can really relate to all the above posts. I've had pretty severe acne from puberty and I'm now 40 & still struggling with it. I've tried various treatments over the years from the contraceptive, various antibiotics, roaccutane, natural remedies and diet- and guess what... I've still got acne :-(
Anyway I really wanted to warn forum readers to be VERY careful of following advice on cutting whole ranges of food from their diets (Elaine Mummery's post)- please consult a dietician or nutritionist before testing out these theories. I am also trained in Nutrition, and readers need to be aware of the damage they could cause for example cutting out all dairy products - could result in calcium deficiency- osteoporosis / osteomalacia. I'm very sceptical of advice from someone trying to sell their book and would love to see peer review studies which confirm any of the clinical trials mentioned! (another good book which she may like to browse is "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre)

jacksyrell

by jacksyrell on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Hello!

I used to have acne really bad when I was a teenager, but in my adult years I really quit thinking about it until recently. Now as an adult, I have naturally oily skin, and I think this helps me to control my acne, which I couldn't control as a teenager.

RIZMAN

by RIZMAN on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:31 am

I am a 21 year old adult. I have had acne since I was 14. I have to mainly on my chin, back and chest. There have been times when I've had no acne on my face as I have been able to control it but it does return. My back and chest are the worst as there are lots of spots and it never seems to clear. I've tried acne tablets but they don't work. I have dry skin and also have eczema which only saddens me. Now that I'm an adult my medication isn't free and I cannot afford to spend lots of money on treatments as I have tried them before.

Recently I tried Cider Vinager as I saw on ehow videos that it cures the acne. I noticed that I have more worse outbreaks than before as my spots are not poppable and are more painful so I am not sure what to do.

I want a clear back and chest and a clear face as this acne lowers my confidence and only depresses me.

If you have a solution please tell me. I'm willing to try anything.

Cara Voller

by Cara Voller on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi Rizman,

Welcome to talkacne. I hope you will find advice and support through our forums and in turn share your stories and experiences with us so that we can all help each other.

Again, welcome and thanks for joining talkacne.

SecretB5StopsAcne

by SecretB5StopsAcne on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:09 am

Hi

I know its quite late for the reply of the post but i also want to share my experience.i was all clean at the age of 13 but after 13 years acne problem started.I was very depressed from this.I started avoiding going out.Then some one told me about treatment of acne with water therapy and i start using it.Drink lot of water, wash face at least twice a day with water use home base products for skin care avoid medicated creams and lotions as it creates side effect on skin.I wish best of luck to the people who are suffering from this problem

Best wishes

RIZMAN

by RIZMAN on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:19 am

I drink a lot of water but the acne on my back and chest doesn't seem to disappear. My face acne is under control but it does make a surprise return now and then.

I just wish I knew what to do to get rid of it permanently.

58 posts