Adult Acne

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

58 posts
Kate99

by Kate99 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: Adult Acne

I have noticed recently that i keep getting flare ups of spots all across my chest then it calms down then starts again. This has been going on for a couple of months now. Does anyone know why this could be happening? I haven't changed my acne medication recently and other than the odd spot it was quite well controlled.

Neh

by Neh on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi my name is Tulani from Nehanda ltd. I recently joined talkacne as we are developing a functional ingredient which seems to reduce acne and spots two weeks after eating it. We have been working with UCL on this and are ready to undertake a consumer trial to show the efficacy of the ingredient in reducing acne. Part of the funding for the trial will come from a research grant from the Technology Strategy Board (a science funding body) to cover the remainder of the funding I have set up a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo "http://igg.me/p/51379?a=318824".

The development of this functional ingredient came about when I noticed for some unknown reason spots on my face always disappeared two weeks after eating this ingredient. I tried to eat other ingredients in the same food group to see if I could get the same effect, but they had no effect on my spots. I got other people to try the ingredient and they too observed that their acne or spots had reduced in size and number two weeks after eating it. We took photographs of the volunteers before and after trying the ingredient, you can view these on the above campaign link.

To this day we have had various tests conducted on the ingredient by different universities to build up supporting data, one of which was Bradford University's Dermatology research department.

Check out the video and further information on the link and let me know your thoughts.

eve01

by eve01 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi, I'm Eve and have acne cars from picking them as a 30's adult. The acne stopped in my late 0s but has come back with a vengeance since I reached my 40's. Mainly on my cheeks and shoulders but sometimes on my body. The doctor has prescriped zinc creams and antibiotics as it's not related to PCOS but it's now knocking my already depleted confidence. Anyone else experiecing this ? :cry:

GBloom

by GBloom on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Acne has blighted my twenties. I certainly relate to your feelings of self consciousness and depleted self confidence. My acne is predominantly on my face but does work its way down my neck and occassionaly to my chest. It really gets me down during a breakout. My Mum found me a product called Aknicare and when it gets really bad I use the remover, the lotion and the cream and they do work really well. I don't need to use the lotion when my skin is under control. I have also found that dairy and saturated fats are triggers, so I keep them out of my diet as much as possible.

RIZMAN

by RIZMAN on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 pm

My doctor has recently put me on a 6month anti-biotic course. A lot of my spots have died but new ones are formed as well. The doctor says the break out is common and would go if they received sun light something we don't get much of in this country. Which is the reason why British people get acne more than anyone else. I have acne on my face but nothing too extreme, it is my back and chest which are currently the favourite spots.

It is a pain but I will give this medication a chance once and for all !

Kate99

by Kate99 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi

How are you getting on with the antibiotics? I keep getting flare ups on my body, luckily not my face too much as that is scarred enough but think i may need to go back to the drs soon.

VintageMom

by VintageMom on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:28 pm

I am 43 years old, and have had cystic acne since the age of 10. In the past 30+ years, I have tried absolutely every acne medication and treatment known to man, including topical creams, scrubs, antibiotics, lasers, Accutane (twice) and more. Last year, I had my food allergies tested and hoped that with an elimination diet my acne would clear up, but nine months later, it hasn't. It is a cruel irony that I am now dealing with both grey hair and acne, and I am afraid people who don't know me well will assume I am some kind of drug addict when they see my spotty skin. (I have read that meth addicts have terrible acne.) I am convinced there is some kind of underlying health problem that is causing my acne, but neither I nor my doctors have been able to figure out what it is. Has anyone heard of acne being cured after 30 years??
Last edited by VintageMom on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucy11

by Lucy11 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 am

My acne seems to be getting worse again with age. It started when i was around 11 and was terrible until i was about 17/18 when i had occasional flares but was most upset about the scaring. Now after about 10 years it is coming back with a vengeance so although i haven't heard of a cure i have hope that someone out there will be able to offer some ray of light....

Did laser therapy have any effect as this is something i have been considering?

VintageMom

by VintageMom on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 pm

@ Lucy 11 -- Unfortunately, the laser treatment had no effect. I had it done at a place called the Skin Wellness Center, which was affiliated with a dermatology office. When it became apparent that the lasers weren't working, the staff insisted that I must see the dermatologist next door. It was their policy, they said, although no one had mentioned a word of it before. When I did make an appointment, the doctor prescribed more topical medications, despite the fact I clearly told him I had already tried them, they didn't work, and I wasn't interested in any more medications. The original selling point of the lasers was that medications would not be needed ... this treatment was promoted as drug-free. I think the whole thing was a racket designed to drive business to the dermatologist, who then could make money on the prescriptions. Very disappointing.

homenalto

by homenalto on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm 56 years of age and still get acne. I've had this problem ever since I was a teenager. However, and I hope it is permitted to share this information, I recently tried a new soap as was suggested by some friends. The soap contains some minerals that are a natural antimicrobial and produce far infrared rays. My friends, both of whom are women love how it made their skin so soft. I really didn't care about that but I decided to try after hearing one describe how her teenage son with an acne problem loved it.

Sure enough it did exactly what they said it would. I even use it to wash my hair. It's call Eyeon soap and the only place I know you can get it is from some equine care site because it is also used on horses and dogs to remove odor and resolve skin issues.

If I have some acne flare up at any time I've also applied the Eyeon soap as a mask. It works fast.

Everything else I've tried has not done the trick unless I wash three or four times a day. Ivory dish detergent is something else that did work well on my hair but now I just use EyeOn.

Has anyone else used this product and had the same luck?

58 posts