Duac/benzoyl peroxide

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

3 posts
JJ-storm

by JJ-storm on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Duac/benzoyl peroxide

Hi, I'm a 21 year old male. Ive been using Duac Once Daily (Benzoyl Peroxide 5%, Clindamycin 1%) for years however these are the things I'm unsure about:

1. Does it need to be stored in the fridge even after opening it? I always thought the pharmacy has to store it in a fridge and then after it's opened it can just be stored in any temperature below 25 degrees C so can be in a cupboard.
2. Should it be washed off in the morning? I usually put it on and leave it on all night and day, wash it off at night before bed and apply it again.
3. If I get spots on my nose does any Duac need to put Duac on my nose too?
4. I have bad and multiple hyperpigmentation marks, should I not use Duac/benzoyl peroxide then as I have heard it worsens and hyperpigmentation marks and makes then last longer?

wurly971

by wurly971 on Sat May 06, 2017 12:22 pm

Re: Duac/benzoyl peroxide

Hi JJ

I'm not a medical professional so can't be sure of questions to all your answers however I've also used Duac for years, so based on experience...
- I don't keep it in the fridge after opening (but understand it has an 8-week shelf life)
- Yes, I would use it on your nose if you get breakouts there - spreading it over the area that's affected
- I wash my face morning and night so only apply Duac at night. I wouldn't imagine there's a problem just leaving it on and washing and reapplying in the evening - depends whether you feel the need to also cleanse your face in the morning?
- I don't know about the pigmentation issue.

I've just joined the forum so sorry for the late reply but hope this might be of some use. I'd ask your GP to be sure (although I know from experience that inevitably some GPs are well informed about acne treatments and others know very little).

All the best

3 posts