Dermarolling for acne scarring

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

2 posts
rachelsheldrake

by rachelsheldrake on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Dermarolling for acne scarring

Hi everyone,

First time posting here, a little nervous!

I've had acne for around 15/16 years, since the age of 10 (I'm now 26) and have severe scarring on both of my cheeks and temples, some on my chin and neck too.

I feel like I've exhausted lots of options, and have last night just had my 6th Dermarolling (skin needling is another name for it!) appointment. It is really painful to have the procedure done, because essentially you're having lots of tiny needles rolled over your whole face. For two days after, I can't wear my normal full coverage foundation or concealer, but have to use a loose powder by Bare Minerals. This would be fine, but being horrendously pale, the palest shade 'Fair 01' is still too dark on me. By break time at work I have turned into a greasy, orange mess with very sore skin underneath.
Last night on my drive home from the appointment, I sobbed. The whole drive home. And when I got home too. I feel like it will never get better, and it's making me continually anxious and low.

I guess my questions are:
Has anyone else on here had dermarolling treatments?
Have you found them to be successful?
What rate of improvement in skin texture have you found?
Do you use anything to soothe the redness/swelling afterwards?
How many sessions have you had?

alicelang

by alicelang on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Re: Dermarolling for acne scarring

Hi Rachel!

My name is Alice. I'm a blogger here at TalkHealth.

I've had acne since I was a teen too. It sucks, doesn't it?! I completely understand where you're coming from. You're definitely not alone with this. There's so much support out there, so just remember that if you're ever feeling low!

I've never tried dermarolling, so, unfortunately, I can't give you much advice on that aspect, but I've heard that many people experience positive results. I'm sorry you're not having a great time with it. Have you seen much improvement yet?

I had a quick search around the web to see if I could find any suggestions for powder based foundations which suit very pale skin and came across this blog http://www.foreveramber.co.uk/best-powd ... -pale-skin - perhaps you could give that one a try?

What products are you using after your sessions to soothe your skin and help with healing? Perhaps focusing in on skin care will help your makeup sit better. I've read that hyaluronic acid is great for after dermarolling sessions. I use it anyway and it's very soothing and hydrating! The brand 'The Ordinary' have a great and affordable one you could try.

Anyway, I just want to say that it will get better! When you're feeling low about your makeup, I can promise you that no one takes as much notice as you think they do. I used to fall into this trap when my skin was bad - I just thought everyone was staring at me! But the truth is that everyone's so busy that they probably don't even notice. You're beautiful - don't let this get you down too much. When you're feeling low, chat with a family member or friend.

Alice

2 posts