Contraceptive pill

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

5 posts
DragonRider

by DragonRider on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Contraceptive pill

Hi,

I have never done this sort of thing before (forums) i joined talkhealth because of one of the clinics then saw other things that got me interested i.e this acne forum.

I have had acne for the last 15+ years. Much of that time i have been on dianette and yasmin then back on dianette and my acne was well controlled. I had outbreaks when stressed or due on but nothing major so i just had scars to contend with - oh the joys of acne!

I came off the pill 5 months ago and my skin is going mental! What do i do? If i go on the pill for the rest of my life i cant start a family but what also concerns me is that the pill is probable just masking the problem not actually solving it.

I don't know what the hell to do? My skin gets me down but i don't want to be on the pill. Will this calm down or just continue getting worse?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Re: Contraceptive pill

Hi

You are quite right - the pill is helping the acne but tno tthe underlying cause. However, it has worked for you.

Now that you are considering your fertility it would be wise to get investigated for PCOS - the treatment of which is making ovulation regular, treating the systemic symptoms as well as weight loss in the overweight group.

With a more regular cycle/ovulation, your skin may improve. However in some women pregnancy can slightly worsen spots. If other contraception is desired, I would stay away form the Mirena IUS as it's progesterone is one of the more androgenic.

Other treatments would include cyproterone 12.5mg (tablets come in 50mg so a pill cutter may be required). Cyproterone is in Diannette with an estrogen, but it can cause liver dysfunction. Spironolactone, a diuretic, is also used. I presume you have discussed antibiotics or roaccutane with your dermatologist. All the treatments in this paragraph are not compatible with pregnancy so it might be worth trying them for 3 months and use strict barrier contraception until your plans to have a baby are more definite. 9 or an ordinary IUCD and roaccutane - if you have no history of depression etc)
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

DragonRider

by DragonRider on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:43 am

Hi,

WOW! Thanks for taking the time to answer my post, i am so grateful.

I have never considered PCOS, is this likely and how would i go about getting investigated for it? Would my GP arrange this or would i have to go private?

I have had antibiotics with no success and i was offered roaccutane about 10-12 years ago. I have a history of slight depression from child/teenage years and so decided that it probably wasn't the treatment for me. My dermatologist said that if i was going to turn it down there was nothing else he could do to help me and not to bother going back. To be honest my acne is better than it was then it's just that it is still here and still bad and now seemingly uncontrollable since coming off the pill. It was dianette i was on with a brief break when i was put on Yasmin at my doctors advice then after 6 months i went back on Dianette as doctor then said Yasmin was reported to be causing some sort of cancer and was best to avoid.

Thanks again!

DragonRider

by DragonRider on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:56 am

It has got so bad that i have decided to go back on the pill. My doctor didn't really offer me any other alternative so when i come to want children i don't know how i will manage. I have been told it will take around 6 weeks to see an improvement but i hope it will be a bit quicker than that. Really fed up and disappointed. Doctor just shrugged when i asked why i still suffer, either doesn't know or doesnt care i suppose but no talk of referring me. I will go back and see another doctor at some point and try to find a more sympathetic one.

seppo

by seppo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:37 am

Sorry to hear about your experience coming off the pill. It can correct some of the hormonal issues that contribute to acne, but it's not a permanent solution (nothing is really).

I just wrote a detailed post about drug-free ways to get rid of acne to my blog here. I figured it's a question that keeps popping up and worth addressing. It should give you some ideas on what to do.

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... d-of-acne/
I'm also a talkhealth blogger. Please check my blog here: http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... ppos-blog/

5 posts