making myself get acne?? hear me out please

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

4 posts
cmitchell

by cmitchell on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:56 pm

making myself get acne?? hear me out please

Now, I know how crazy the topic might sound but hear me out.

I went on accutane fall 2018-spring 2019 after years of having cystic acne and nothing ever working for me. I was clear as could be until January 2020 rolled around and I started breaking out again. I thought maybe changing up my routine a bit would help since I was getting a bit oily again, but it didn't help. I went to my dermatologist in March and she gave me doxycycline to take for 2 months and a topical to use every other night. It worked for the first month but now I'm back to breakouts that will last a week, clear up for a week, and the cycle continues.

This is exactly how my bad acne started the last time, cycles of going through awful breakouts followed by a few days of clear skin. I don't want it getting that bad again, but she doesn't think the amount I have now warrants another round of accutane. (Although when I went in, I was on one of my clear weeks and had just gotten rid of 15ish breakouts from the previous 2 weeks). It sounds insane to want to go on it again (but I had an INCREDIBLE experience on it- only side effect was the dryness), I just don't want it ever getting to that level of severity again. My body and skin has never responded well to any antibiotics or topicals that I was prescribed before accutane and so far, it hasn't changed.

Am I crazy for wanting to break out consistently just so she can see that it's getting as bad as it was? I've watched videos and read stories of people needing a second round to completely get rid of breakouts. My acne was my number 1 insecurity and I would cancel plans just to avoid going out. I don't want to ever feel that again.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:33 am

Re: making myself get acne?? hear me out please

Hi cmitchell,

Thank you for posting on the forum and for sharing your frustrating journey with acne. Hopefully other members may be able to advise you in due course.

Have you considered trying other ways to tackle the problem? You may want to check this out from one of our clients:

https://www.chucklinggoat.co.uk/health- ... t-is-acne/

This may explain why antibiotics don't work for you.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Bunnykins83

by Bunnykins83 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:09 pm

I can completely emphasise with you. I had severe acne in my teens and 20s. It cleared up when I got pregnant and then reappeared in my 30s. That was when I went on Roaccutane. My skin cleared only for it to return with the menopause. I had another shot at Roaccutane and luckily it did the trick.
I am now much better informed about acne. I would recommend the book 'Healing Adult Acne' by Richard G Fried. It is very comprehensive. Acne needs a multi-pronged approach.

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Speak to the pharmacist about options.

4 posts