Trying to remove post-acne scars

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

9 posts
fixmyface

by fixmyface on Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Trying to remove post-acne scars

Hi everyone,

I've struggled with acne since I was very young (12/13 years old). I am now a woman in my mid-twenties and unfortunately, I'm still suffering. I don't really know the source of my acne. When I've visited derms and doctors in the past, they never got to the root of the problem. They prescribed meds that made my skin worse (inflammation). I have been trying to win the fight by myself by identifying the cause. I think that it stems from either hormones or my gut because after I eat certain things, I notice that the overall appearance of my skin worsens. Now, I am not a snacker (I don't eat a lot of sweets or sodas). However, I do drink juice and take medication that contains caffeine, i.e. aspirin. I am trying to cut the aspirin out but it is very difficult because I developed a dependancy. I also notice that bread has always made me constipated. I would like to start a "fresh" diet once I get a stable job and save more money.

The biggest problem that I have is hyperpigmentation. I still have scars on my face YEARS after a pimple has cleared up. For some reason, the skin on my face scars very easily and it's difficult to lighten. I also have these hyperpigmentation marks on my neck from tweezing hairs. I am just tired of my confidence being dampered by this. I've been having less breakouts since I started a new regimine but I want these marks gone for good. Any suggestions?

I attached a link to pics of the scars below:

https://imgur.com/a/VcDvZOS

This is my current regimine:

wash 2x a day with Oxy brand face wash
clean face in between with Oxy pads
apply coconut oil on entire face once per day
coffee scrub twice a week (this really softens my skin)
turmeric mask once a week (supposed to help with hyperpigmentation)

I admit that some days I don't keep up with washing my face. Sometimes I skip washing at night, but I have improved on this.

lizza_johnson_10

by lizza_johnson_10 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Re: Trying to remove post-acne scars

The key to removing acne scars is to take care of a strict, regular skincare routine. This routine doesn't need to be expensive and it should only take 5 to 10 minutes out of your day at the most .

After taking hormonal acne treatment, I found myself with a face covered in dark spots asking an equivalent question as you. i'm more into natural remedies because:
1. they're less expensive .

2. They follow the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid).

After tons of research, I developed my very own , affordable skincare routine that I did nightly before getting to bed. within the morning, i might simply wash my face with water. So….here is my routine.

Oil Cleanse: i exploit a couple of drops of oil and massaged it into my face to removing oil-based dirt and makeup. I rotate my oils counting on how my skin is reacting. My skin is combination so I found that expressed almond oil , copra oil , and vegetable oil worked on behalf of me . i might then wipe off the oil with a plant disease . The oil cleanse method is great because it gently removes all oil-based dirt that water and soap cleanser cannot.
Water Cleanse: i exploit the Cetaphil face cleanser to wash all water based dirt and take away any residue from the oil cleanse. This cleanser is great because it's gentle yet effective.
Toner: For toner I mix a 1:1 ratio of raw apple vinegar with filtered water during a spray bottle. I spray a touch into my hands and pat it into my skin. this is often great to shut pores and fade discoloration.
Serum: this is often the step that basically helped to fade my scars. I purchased a vitamin C serum from amazon for around 15 dollars out. I applied three drops on my face and after 4 months, most my spots had faded. The change was so drastic that i started getting comments from all my friends. i used to be surprised these things worked so well. this is often a requirement to urge obviate spots and that i still use it a day .
Moisturizer: I cursed with another oil to moisturize my skin without the tough chemicals and silicones of traditional, brand moisturizers. i exploit expressed almond oil or vegetable oil counting on the season. However, rosehip oil is that the best to get rid of scars.
I would attempt to establish a routine like this keeping in mind that your skin could also be different (listen to your skin!). I hope this helps and good luck!

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:06 pm

The only problem with your solution, is that you are not supposed to use oils when trying to decrease acne issues on the skin.

Bunnykins83

by Bunnykins83 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi fixmyface,
I suffered with acne for years and have been left with some red scars but mine are mainly the rolling scars which are extremely difficult to remove.

I have learnt an awful lot over the years. I think saliycilic acid is very good. I use it every day. I also use over-the-counter retinol products. I am careful with retinol. I was prescribed it years ago but no-one explained how to use it so you didnt get a reaction! My skin flared up so I thought I was just allergic to it.

I wouldn't use coconut oil as it can block pores. I love aromatherapy but have found that I cant use oils except fir lavendar oil which is great for breakouts.

Regarding diet, I try to eat healthily. Plenty of fruit, veg, water, herbal teas. I also include nuts and seeds and take vitamins. By the way, a lot of natural fruit juices contain a lot of sugar.
I wished I had done all this when I was younger as I might not have as many scars today. Unfortunately, we didnt have all the information and support that is available today. I now take good care if my skin and am learning to accept my skin, scars and all.

niks.p.82

by niks.p.82 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:46 pm

I have struggled with acne since a teenager as well as hyperpigmentation. I have tried so many things over the years that just didn't work. The journey has been long and frustrating AND expensive. Last year I came across Dr Reena she has been amazing. I now a good skin routine and with the medical products my skin has been transformed. I have gained so much confidence about myself and can not wait until lockdown is over to be out and about.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:17 pm

That's brilliant, niks.p.82. I was lucky enough to not suffer with acne but I had friends who did and know the frustration and embarrassment they went through. Being called "pizza face" was very unkind. I do think acne is genetic: rather than caused by junk food. However, you've had your acne treated, so others can, too.

Anyhow, acne isn't pleasant but can be reduced. Although if anyone considered face peels, I'd re-consider that. Peeling layers of skin off sounds rather nasty and brutal. I know the skin isn't stripped BUT it sounds awful. Could you tell if an acne scar was less then 2mm deep? Even people with acne have to treat their skin gently. Definitely avoid harsh, skin stripping products if you're suffering from acne. I know the person's skin looks angry, but it is still important to use gentle products and treatments.

Annajason42

by Annajason42 on Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:18 pm

If I am having acne and acne scars both on my back can you give me the idea how can I get rid of them and how?

paulsteven

by paulsteven on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi,
Have you thought of trying niacinamide?

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Acne scars can be reduced but I don't think they can be completely gotten rid of. Plus, being gentle with skin is vital: save the steel wool for the dishes.

Just treat your skin with tender loving care and your acne scars will go on their own.

9 posts