Acne in my 40ys

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

5 posts
clairekillen25@hotmail.com

by clairekillen25@hotmail.com on Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:16 pm

Acne in my 40ys

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. 43y mother of 2, living in Northern Ireland.
I'm struggling with hormonal acne now for 2ys.
I've been on the same birth control for 9ys now along with anti depressants. I'm sterilised but take cerazette daily with no breaks to control my moods and have no periods. I've had no change to my medications in 9ysso don't think it would be those that have caused the acne. Doctor given me Doxycycline which I've taken for year now but not working. Been referred to dermatologist but that's a year waiting so far and many more years still to wait. I've changed my diet and working on gut health but after 4 months that not helping much. I've changed up my skin care routine which is helping dry out my skin but the spots keep multiplying and spreading. I'm at a loss! What's next for me?

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:02 am

Re: Acne in my 40ys

I think acne is genetic: you either have it or you don't, regardless of any skincare routine.

Your only option is a pill/cream combination. Otherwise, your acne is here to stay.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:05 pm

Have you considered using foundation to conceal your acne? There are loads of great makeup brands that sell foundations to smooth and conceal problem skin.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:53 am

When women begin entering menopause, estrogen, the female hormones, decrease while androgen increases. This increase in androgens can lead to acne and other problems. However, there are other lifestyle factors that can play a role in acne risk.

ellesmith

by ellesmith on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:54 am

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with acne despite your efforts. I'll suggest that you should keep up with your daily routine and try to stay positive. While waiting for the dermatologist, maybe look into natural remedies or seek advice from others who've been through similar experiences. You're not alone!
Last edited by ellesmith on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Explore more about nurturing your Intellectual Wellness

5 posts