Teenage Acne

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

32 posts
admin
Site Admin

by admin on Fri May 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Teenage Acne

Are you a young person or teenager with spots, oily skin and acne. How does it affect your life? We'd love to hear from you about how you cope with the day to day difficulties of living with acne and spots. Post your experiences here.
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

danadana

by danadana on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Re: Teenage Acne

Was a young person at one time. Now I dabble in writing about experiences. I wanted to Invite you to join the discussion. I know a shameless plug. But the invitation is for all.

savannah

by savannah on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:02 pm

I am a 17 year old female and have been suffering from acne for the best part of 5 years. I have tried absoloutely everything, I have been on three types of antibiotic and have now resorted to Dianette, a form of contraception pill. The antibiotics were tetracyclines, and worked quite effectively in the long run but gave me bad side affects. I felt extremely ill straight after taking the antibiotic and the second type gave me an irritating rash on my legs and made them really itchy. I decided to stop the antibiotic because it was taking a long time to see results and also made me quite ill.
I am very self concious about my skin and only recently has my skin flared up to the worst its ever been. My face is so painful and I feel so depressed about it! I have been taking Dianette for two months now and I am on my weeks break from it, and I feel like its done absolutely nothing apart from make my skin less oily. On top of this, I am also using Duac Once Daily Gel which is 5% benzoly peroxide, which makes my skin very irritable and itchy. I get countless sleepness nights from the itchiness of my skin and I have now stopped using it because I cant stand it.I think my skin has got worse and I feel like I am at my wits end! If anyone reading this has bad acne then you will know what it feels like - you cant look at anyone in the face properly, you think everybody is staring at you, and you just generally feel down.
Acne runs in the family unfortunately, my auntie who is now 29, has suffered from it also. She told me that the only thing that EVER worked for her was he powerful medication Roaccutane (or accutane). She, like me, had used lots of market products and antibiotics, but she aslo got fed up of her skin not clearing up. So she went on Roaccutane for a year, and now her skin is perfect. Roaccutane should only really be taken as a last resort, and this really is my last resort. I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a couple of days time and I hope he can prescribe me this medication as I really feel so depressed about my skin. Fortunately I have an amazing set of friends and family behind me who will support me if I get any side effects from this drug (as it can make you depressed) and I really hope this works!!!!!!!!!!!! I will keep you posted about Roaccutane and hopefully it will be a recommendation!

Mackenzie

by Mackenzie on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:06 am

I am a 14 year old female and have had acne for about 2 years now. Sadly acne runs through the family and i just happened to get it. I have pretty severe acne although now the acne has improved a lot and i am now left with horrible scars. People think that people with acne make too big of a deal out of it but it really takes a toll on you. My self esteem dropped and i just didnt feel confident anymore. I went to a dermatologist about a year ago and got a topical gel called Differin and got the .3% i was also given Triad facial pads and a pill. This helped significantly but after a while my skin started to get used to the product and had to switch on and off again between the prescribed medicine and Mario Badescu's acne wash. I think one of the most important things is to switch products often! Just remember that sooo many people out there deal with acne and there are people like and that more than likely you will not have this forever! Just stay hopefull!! And also, remember, acne will get worse before it gets better!! so give a product time and if it isnt working after a while then switch! :)

AlisonQ

by AlisonQ on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Mackenzie - my daughter has really bad spots/acne and this is why I've joined the site to try and understand what I can do to help. I didn't have acne as a child so although I feel for my daughter and know it's so emotionally awful for her, I just want to get some practical advice and recommendations on the sorts of skincare products I can get for her to try. If you can recommend anything I'd be really grateful. I think you are so brave coming onto this forum and sharing your own personal story. I do hope things improve for you really soon.

talking

by talking on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Having a son who has just started to break out in spots I thought I'd try and find some advice to try and stop them getting too bad. I didn't suffer from spots too badly as a teenager but I can already see that my son is starting to suffer. I worry about the teasing and am hoping that I can find advice on things that might work in order to prevent them flaring up too much. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

kdossy

by kdossy on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Im a teenager, but my acne is terrible. I know its probably from all those hormones bouncing around, but it seems to be getting worse. My doctor put me on a adapalene topical gel called "Differin XP". Ive been using it for about a month now, but its just drying my face out and putting me in a great amount of pain. My acne is mostly bad on my forehead, so ive started putting it there every night, but putting it on the rest of my face every 2-3 days because it drys me out so fast. I NEED to find something that works!!!! PLEASE HELP.

Cara Voller

by Cara Voller on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am

Kdossy - how are you getting on with the Differin XP now? If you are still having problems you should see your doctor again to try something new.

SecretB5StopsAcne

by SecretB5StopsAcne on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:19 am

Generally acne is faced by teenagers having oily skin. One should never opt for medication as their effect last till you have the pills. So, to my mind, herbal and natural ways are the best to cure acne on long term basis. I recommend visiting your local dermatologist. Be careful with your skin, because some damage may be permanent. Good wishes.

sophiemadpie

by sophiemadpie on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:53 pm

hello,

I have moderate acne and i have tried a LOT of products, never wanted to take antibiotics for that cause i think that antibiotics should be only for when we are very unwell. I have found online a product called Blemishless, and it work really well, i m happy of the result hopefully it will last, maybe you coud try it and it will help youz :)

Hope that's will help you the same way it's helping me :)

32 posts