Bad acne

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

2 posts
Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:30 am

Re: Bad acne

Hi James,

Many thanks for posting your question and concerns - acne is a condition which affects many of our patients, so I hope I will be able to help.

You are quite correct - there is currently a supply issue with Quinoderm creams due to new EU regulations which have limited the supply of an ingredient to manufacture the product. This supply delay may continue until the end of 2015. Quinoderm is a unique product available over the counter in pharmacies as it is a dual action cream. This means it contains two active ingredients which work together to kill the acne-causing bacteria and fungi on the skin as well as reducing inflammation and the likelihood of pores blocking.
Quinoderm facewash, which you are currently using, does also have this dual action - although it contains different ingredients to the cream. The facewash contains antisceptic, antibacterial and antifungal ingredients. There is evidence to suggest that using an antisceptic facewash may improve symptoms - so this product may be beneficial.
There is no direct alternative cream to the Quinoderm, however there are other products available which contain benzoyl peroxide, which kills the acne-causing bacteria. I would suggest having a discussion with your dermatologist at your up-coming appointment about whether this would be a suitable route for your treatment plan.

I would recommend you continue to wash your face twice daily (no more) using a mild soap, cleanser or antisceptic face wash. Do not scrub the skin as this will irritate it. Ensure to wash your skin after exercising as sweat build up may worsen your symptoms. I would agree with your GP's advice to pat skin dry - do not scrub or this will irritate and may inflame the skin.

With regards to your suggestion of silica and/or collagen tablets. Silica is a mineral which has been suggested to improve skin healing and suppleness. It may also support the collagen already found in your skin. However, there is no clinical evidence to suggest it has any effectiveness in acne treatment. It may also cause depletion of other vitamins essential for the body, including vitamin B1. I would not recommend using silica or collagen tablets due to the lack of clinical evidence of their effectiveness. I would suggest discussing with your dermatologist the possibility of an alternative cream until Quindoderm is available again and the continuation of your oxytetracycline.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts