Green Juice

Post questions regarding healthy eating here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Jody

by Jody on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:10 pm

Green Juice

Hi there,

I have an intolerance to wheat and have been avoiding it for years. I suspect I have a few others too but haven't been tested. Just trying to omit them from my diet and seeing if I have any reactions. In a bid to re-set my health i've started drinking green juice which I juice from celery and cucumber. I find it makes my head feel a lot clearer and my concentration sharper. I'm not intolerant to either of them and I can tolerant up to 500ML. However, when I start drinking any more (A typical sized celery and cucumber makes about 700ml-1 litre of juice), I then start feeling really wheezy and sick/a temporary stomach ache. The symptoms do pass within about 1/2 hour. I thought both celery and cucumber were really alkaline. Do you know what could be happening? Thank you

Carol Wright

by Carol Wright on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: Green Juice

Hi Jody

Thank you for posting this question. Well done on drinking green juices. I note that you have some allergies and whilst, you have not had a reaction to the drink, the more you drink you have some reaction.

Celery is one of the foods which can trigger pollen food syndrome and it may be that you can only tolerate the smaller amount whilst the larger amount may be too much for your body to handle. I note that you are intolerant to things such as wheat and your body reacts to others too which you have not listed. Some symptoms include an itchy mouth or throat as well as feeling sick. (I had one where I couldn't eat apples without a completely numb mouth which normally only lasted in hay fever season).

Perhaps try other juices or mixing in other greens to have a variety so that you do not overload on celery.

I am here and happy to help, if there are any other questions you have.
Carol Wright
Grief, loss, health and life coach

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... rol-wright

Izabella Natrins

by Izabella Natrins on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:22 pm

Re: Green Juice

Hi Jodie....

For the celery: another reason you're experiencing symptoms may be related to a dysbiosis of stomach bacteria. Our stomach contains a variety of bacteria (e.g. E. Coli, Streptococcus, H. Pylori) which, if not kept in check, are pathogenic.

Because celery juice is a naturally powerful detoxicant it can cause a bacterial 'die-off' in the stomach, prompting a spasm which can be uncomfortable and temporarily painful. The larger the quantity of celery juice consumed, the more rapid the die-off, with the potential for painful spasms and other symptoms.

I'd suggest you consider keeping how much celery juice you consume to symptom tolerance and increasing only very slowly, over a matter of weeks... reducing it again if symptoms reappear.

Celery juice is also very effective in promoting bile and at speeding up digestion by strengthening the stomach’s hydrochloric acid production - which then works on breaking down old undigested protein and fats trapped at the bottom of the stomach the small intestinal tract. So if bloating is an issue too, once these fats and proteins dissolve, bloating tends to go away for almost everyone who is dealing with chronic bloating issues. Again, go easy!

For the cucumber - it's best to choose organic, if possible; conventionally grown cucumbers (and some organic) have a robust preserving wax finish which is best removed by scrubbing well with a natural/safe detergent (e.g. well-diluted Dr Bronner's).

Mixing: My understanding is that celery juice and cucumber are best taken alone to get the full nutrient benefit of each. Cucumber particularly is best consumed 20-30 mins away from other foods and drinks.

I hope this helps Jodie :)
Izabella Natrins
Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine Health Coach

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... la-natrins

3 posts