Restless Legs

Post your questions on chronic pain here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Just-in-time

by Just-in-time on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Restless Legs

I've suffered from lower back pain for many years, but was never that bothersome. It has got steadily worse over the last 3-4 years however I am able to manage it with a combination of OTC pain relief and yoga. I also suffer from RLS which started off mildy (itching feeling) but for the last year or so its become so painful (pins & needles and throbbing) that its having a dramatic impact on my sleep and life in general. Nothing is working for the pain and I just don't know how to help it. I've tried magnesium transdermally and orally but not effective. So I'm just seeking any advice on how best to help with the pain and also what the cause could be. I was wondering if it could be linked to my back pain?

Simone Gilbert

by Simone Gilbert on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:31 pm

Re: Restless Legs

Hello and thankyou for posting.

I'm truly sorry to hear that you are suffering.

I wonder what happened right before the onset of your back pain? And does anything ease/exacerbate your RLS?

In my experience magnesium is one of the minerals that tends to ease RLS - I wonder have you had your levels tested? As well as supplementing with MG you may find that a soothing (not too hot) bath with magnesium flakes (epsom salts) and a little lavender oil may help relax your body and rebalance of your levels.

In order to get an understanding of the back pain, have you seen any other practitioners A cranial osteopath for instance may help you identify a cause and re-align your body to ease symptoms.

We are a masterful creation and everything is connected. So I suspect that your wonderings as to whether your RLS is connected with your lower back pain comes from a place of deep understanding. I always ask 'what do you think'... we always have some notion of whats happening in our body, its just that we're been taught to turn down the volume...

If you haven't already, I really recommend finding a practitioner who will take a full blood panel and assess your levels with a functional view of the results. Beyond this, I encourage you to focus on a whole food diet, minimising sugar and processed carbohydrates. In order to optimise your digestion/gut health (which is responsible for absorption of such things as magnesium) you may also find that avoiding dairy and gluten will ease your symptoms.

Hoping this provides with a few things to consider.

I wish you the very best on your path to recovery. Please do reach out if I can be of any additional help.

Simone x
Simone Gilbert
B. Ec, IAHC - Health & Wellness Coach

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ilbert.php

Carol Wright

by Carol Wright on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:54 pm

Re: Restless Legs

Hi

Thank you for posting your question. I am sorry to hear about your long term back pain and now the restless legs.

I am not sure what you are doing to ease the pain or the symptoms of the restless legs. Are you able to do any exercise in the daytime? Often this helps in order to deal with the levels of dopamine in the body. Certainly, if you are not receiving enough sleep, this may affect the legs. Many things are connected. I am unsure the cause of your lower back pain or if you have seen anyone for root cause analysis of this. It may be that a chiropractor or osteopath may be able to give you some indication as to what may be going on or if it may be posture related. Sometimes, restless legs may be caused by iron deficiency and I am unsure if you have had this tested with your GP.

Good healthy choices in whole foods with less caffeine at night and less processed foods with sugar in also help to decrease inflammation in the body thereby reducing pain. Having good nutrition is beneficial for health all round.

Let me know what you have tried and if you need guidance further. I am here and happy to help.
Carol Wright
Grief, loss, health and life coach

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... rol-wright

3 posts