Worried about it spreading

Post your questions regarding vitiligo here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Dianewest

by Dianewest on Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:45 pm

Worried about it spreading

Hi - I have a small patch of vitiligo under my left knee which developed a year ago. Is there a way to tell if it will spread and how fast – are there any signs to look out for?

Many thanks
Diane

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Re: Worried about it spreading

Dear Diane

Thank you for this interesting question.

There have a variety of case studies that have looked at patients with vitiligo and signs that may indicate a poor prognosis in terms of spread. Vitiligo is an unpredictable condition and sometimes not much can be done to prevent it from spreading. However early detection is important for a better outcome.

Some features to look out for include, confetti- like pigmentation, irregular borders to the vitiligo patch, itching and inflammation. These features can indicate an active vitiligo and infact treating at this stage will result in a better chance of re-pigmentation. Sometimes these features can be difficult to see, a woods lamp can help with delineating borders. I'd advise seeing a dermatologist who can assess and treat sooner rather than later.

Hope that helps.

Dr Adil Sheraz
Insta dr_adilsheraz
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts