My hair is so thin

Post your hair loss and alopecia questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:07 am

My hair is so thin

I've been suffering from hair loss for a number of years now and I hate it. It's most noticeable on the sides at the front, sort of above the outer edge of eyes, if that makes sense. I've tried a couple of well known products but neither has made any difference. I'm not under any undue stress so that's not the cause. I do have an underactive thyroid for which I take Levothyroxine but my doctor says this isn't the cause, in fact he sort of pooh poohed it and said 'Unfortunately it happens to most people as they get older'. Help, I used to have a lovely head of hair but now it's so thin I could cry.

Regards.
Hazel
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Nevianna Bordet

by Dr Nevianna Bordet on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Re: My hair is so thin

If your thyroid tests show that the Levothyroxine tablets you are on are providing the correct amount of replacement for you, it is unlikely to be causing your hair thinning. Thinning over the parietal scalp (above your ears) and/or frontal hairline is common with age and due to a condition known as Androgenic Alopecia. Although it can be seen at any age, it is more common after the menopause as oestrogen levels decline and the hair follicle is sensitive to testosterone- women start to thin in the areas on the scalp that usually present in balding men. Topical Minoxidil can slow down this process. However, it is best that you are examined first as rarely there can be another cause for the hair thinning in this area, such as Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia.
Dr Nevianna Bordet
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bordet.php

2 posts