frontal alopecia

Post your hair loss and alopecia questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
feline11

by feline11 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:16 pm

frontal alopecia

hi have frontal fibrosing alopecia and my hair is very thin as well and still coming out.Im also on hrt.
1)i have tried Etrivex shampoo that the doctor prescribed for a short while.but is there any other over the counter one you could recommend ( i just use any brand now from the supermarket).
2)is it 'safe' to colour/dye my hair if i use one with no ammonia? bit worried in case it would make it come out more.

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:08 pm

Re: frontal alopecia

Hello and thank you for your message.

If you have been diagnosed with frontal fibrosing alopecia, I would advise you are referred to a dermatologist for ongoing care. As this is a form of scarring alopecia usually long term maintenance medical (rather than over the counter) treatment is required to stabilise the condition and prevent further hair loss. Sometimes this may simply be topicals but occasionally treatment needs to be escalated and injections or oral medications may be required to keep the inflammation under control.

In terms of hair colouring, if your scalp is not reacting to the product there should be no issues continuing and it shouldn't exacerbate the FFA. However repeated use of chemicals/dyes itself can gradually weaken and damage the hair fibres so purely from an aesthetic/hair fibre health perspective it would be better to reduce the frequency of use of chemicals as much as possible.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts