Hair fibres to hide bald patch

Post your hair loss and alopecia questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:37 am

Hair fibres to hide bald patch

i am a 59 year old female who has had baby fine hair all my life. The top of my head I have less hair than the rest of my head a bit of a bald patch. For years I suffered with pcos. Now for the past few years I have had type 2 diabetes and b12 problems which I take medication for. I use hair fibres to hide the bald patch but is there anything I can do. Thank you, Karen
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:00 pm

Re: Hair fibres to hide bald patch

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your message.
It sounds like the pattern of hair loss you have would fit with female pattern hair loss FPHL (the female version of male pattern balding) which is prevalent in women from the 4th decade onwards and is slowly progressive. The meonpause and a history of PCOS may also exacerbate this pattern of hair thinning.
Whilst hair fibres are great as a cosmetic camouflage there are medical treatment options which may help to slow down the progression of thinning and in some cases can improve hair growth with long term treatment. At it's simplest this may be daily use of topical minoxidil, or in other cases oral medication is required as well. If this is something you wish to pursue then I would advise you arranging an appointment with your GP in the first instance +/- referral onto a dermatologist.
Hair transplantation is also an option for FPHL but usually surgeons would still recommend being on medical therapies to stabilise the condition in the long term.

From a cosmetic and hair care perspective, the choice of shampoos and conditioners may make a difference. Choosing "thickening" or "volumising" products which are typically amino acid rich can help to bulk up fine hair. Try to avoid products which contain silicones which can weight down fine hair.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts