Frontal fibrosis alopecia

Post your hair loss and alopecia questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:40 am

Frontal fibrosis alopecia

Hi,
I was diagnosed with this type of alopecia in December last year. I think it had been going on for some time as I had lost my eye brows a couple of years ago but didn’t realise my hair line was receding so much. I was given Dermovate cream to put on my hair line once a day which I think has helped, I no longer have the rough feeling at the hair line but I am still losing hair which may be due to something else. I was supposed to have a follow up appointment in March but it was cancelled, I was given a second appointment in October but that has also been cancelled and they have given me a telephone consultation in December, I’m not sure that will be of much help.
My problem now is this has left the hair at the front very weak and I am very conscious of this and am finding it very difficult to get my hair to look good. I am wondering what can be done, if anything, to help with this. I have been looking at wigs which would be alright in some situations, but it’s not ideal. Have you any suggestions please.
Thanking you in advance,
Sue
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am

Re: Frontal fibrosis alopecia

Hello and thank you for your message.

The priority with any scarring alopecia such as FFA is to ensure the condition is stabilised and progression is halted. This will usually require ongoing medical treatment. Depending on the severity this may range from topicals only, to steroid injections to oral medications and should be discussed with you by your overseeing Dermatologist.

You are absolutely right to think about cosmetic solutions which I often recommend alongside medical treatments. As FFA mainly affects the frontal hairline options will vary depending on how far the hairline has receded but may include bespoke hair systems that cover only the frontal section, wigs or with many patients who have very mild hairline recession, to have a fringe cut.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts