Adult acne

Post your acne related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:14 pm

Adult acne

Since my late 40's l've suffered with breakouts, painful red lumps and blackheads and all appear from nowhere. I'm now 52. I use non- comedogenic brands now but is there any tricks to help oily/ combination skin when wearing makeup?
Thanks.
Lou.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Nevianna Bordet

by Dr Nevianna Bordet on Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:25 am

Re: Adult acne

The increased oil production you are describing is Seborrhoea. It is slightly unusual to have it in your 40s and 50s and occasionally warrants further investigation by a doctor. The blackheads are actually oxidised oil that is in the gland (not dirt as many people think!) and as the oil gland gets blocked with excess oil and skin debris it can cause inflammation and even become infected by bacteria. That is when the red painful lumps occur. There are some creams and gels that are marketed as reducing the oil on the skin but are of limited benefit. Some oral medication can reduce this excessive oil production (tablets that are known as anti-androgens e.g. Spironolactone, some oral contraceptive pills) and Isotretinoin is also very effective but must be prescribed by a dermatologist as it carries risks and needs monitoring. I hope this is helpful.
Dr Nevianna Bordet
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bordet.php

2 posts