Eczema in the groin

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:13 am

Eczema in the groin

I've been diagnosed with eczema/contact dermatitis in groin area. Had it for years but because I carry a bit of extra weight etc I’m always extra moist in the skin folds etc of the groin area. I've tried various creams and lotions from dermatologist and only thing that kinda helps is wearing swabs that soak up the excess sweat etc. Area is washed with dermol soap replacement emoliant etc. I wear loose fitting clothes. Any sugestions please other than loosing weight and what I'm doing now to help please with excess wetness? Thanks
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Nevianna Bordet

by Dr Nevianna Bordet on Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Re: Eczema in the groin

Thanks for your post. Contact dermatitis is eczema due to contact with an allergen so it is diagnosed after a patch test. Have you had this done? If so, avoiding the allergen identified usually stops the eczema occurring. However, contact allergy in the groin would be unusual and its more likely that you are getting an irritant dermatitis. Intertrigo is a term we use for redness in the folds. Often the heat and moisture encourages a change in the microbiome of the skin that contributes to the eczema. You are doing the right thing by trying to lose weight as this will give you the best long-term solution. Lose fitted clothing and avoiding synthetic fibres will also help. Try linen and cotton instead of polyester. After showering, make sure you dry the skin folds really well. If it gets itchy or sore you may want to use some Daktacort cream (this can be bought in a chemist without a prescription) but only use this for a few days and very sparingly as it contains a steroid and long-term use will thin the skin. The anti-fungal in the cream should control any yeast and fungi that typically colonise the area and make the eczema worse. Some patients also benefit from using Ketoconazole shampoo (also called Nizoral shampoo) as a body wash on an intermittent basis. This can also be bought without a prescription. I hope this has been helpful.
Dr Nevianna Bordet
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bordet.php

frosty9081

by frosty9081 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 am

Re: Eczema in the groin

nope never had patch test to see what im allergic to. ive had two punch biopsies n lots of guess works from various skin doctors. all doesnt help as can get skin dry on one side but about half way its wet n continues to other side, so its sore ,red ,smells n wet on one side even when washing/dryign n using creams n swabs to help with moisture. also get a creamy looking liquid n bumply red long patches in the sore areas.

3 posts