Eczema & Diet

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:26 am

Eczema & Diet

I suffer from eczema and wonder whether certain foods are causing me inflammation of the condition.

Should I be looking more at my diet with regards to managing my eczema? If so are there certain foods that I should be looking at reducing in my diet?

Thank you, Ruth
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Nevianna Bordet

by Dr Nevianna Bordet on Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Eczema & Diet

Dear Ruth,
If you have an allergy to a certain food, then it is possible for this to cause your eczema to flare. Food allergies are much more common in very young children and more rare in adults as most people tend to grow out of food allergies such as milk allergy. Other allergies such as peanut allergy tend to persist into adulthood. If you notice your eczema is worse with certain foods you may be referred to an Allergy Consultant who can perform prick testing to confirm your suspicions. You may suspect a food allergy also if you have gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhoea. If you do not have a food allergy, I would recommend you stick to a healthy diet. Not only is this good for your health in general, but we also know that a healthy microbiome in the gut will help your skin. Sugar is to be avoided, especially refined sugar such as sweets, biscuits, chocolate and fizzy drinks. Increase the vegetables in your diet, especially the variety.
Dr Nevianna Bordet
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bordet.php

2 posts