Vulval Lichen Planus maintenance?

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Frances489

by Frances489 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Vulval Lichen Planus maintenance?

I've had vulval lichen planus for 4/5 years. I've been following the dermatologist's advice of using Dermovate every day for a month, then twice a week for a month and repeat if necessary. This does clear the rash, but, within 3-4 weeks of being clear, back it comes again. I've seen the dermatologist twice now, both times discharged when the area was clear, but, within weeks, I'm back to square one.

Can you suggest anything which I could, maybe, buy over the counter as a maintenance cream? I wondered about a low steroid cream. Or, perhaps, you could suggest a Dermovate regime which would taper off more and so the rash would be less likely to come back so soon.

I use an emollient liberally throughout the day and at night and only wash with Dermol.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: Vulval Lichen Planus maintenance?

So sorry to hear about your problem! It can be difficult to manage! Try Eumovate cream available over the counter when you reduce Dermovate. If this does not help ask your dermatologist if a retinoid oral medication may be suitable for you (this would need to be prescribed under a very strict supervision by your dermatologist).

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

https://www.alexandroff.org.uk/

Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts