Is my body itching aggravated by materials other than cotton?

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:27 pm

Is my body itching aggravated by materials other than cotton?

Setting aside all my other skin challenges, I have extensive all body itching with no rash. Nothing seems to work. Have gone to the extreme with the xolair injection...still no success.
Also allergic to most clothing material other than cotton. It gets so expensive trying to replace ALL clothing with cotton only. Even when I wear cotton alone, it still causes a good amount
of itch.

I'd like to know, could my overall body itching, from head to foot be aggravated with using materials other than cotton? Or does it go beyond that? I'm at my wits end, and also at the end of my
life, I suppose, at age 75. I don't want to spend the rest of my years on earth suffering as I have done most of my life.

Any suggestions??

Thank you, Nancy
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:21 pm

Re: Is my body itching aggravated by materials other than cotton?

Hi Nancy,

So sorry to hear you are suffering.

We see itch commonly in the clinic and I know how distressing and uncomfortable it can be. From your mention of Xolair, I assume you have had blood tests to ensure that there is nothing internally which is causing the itching. If not, chat to your doctor about this.

Generally, natural fibres are must less irritant to skin than synthetic fibres. So any sensitive skin condition tends to be calmer with fibres such as cotton or silk, which I know is not easy on the purse! Bamboo and linen are other options. In the colder weather, you could wear cotton undergarments to protect the skin and potentially something manmade over the top, but not in direct contact with the skin?

Dry skin = itchy skin. So making sure your skin is well moisturised with ingredients like urea and ensuring that you're not using any harsh soaps or detergents in the bath or shower can all be helpful. Then there are tablets or even sometimes light therapy which can help, so I would chat to your doctor about this.

I hope that gives some insight.

Very best wishes,

Emma
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts