Fexafenadine

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:14 pm

Fexafenadine

I was prescribed Fexafenadine to combat Cholinergic Urticaria and take 180 mg per day. I was told it was possible to take more but my symptoms are kept in check with this now. However I have had this regime for four years now and see no end in sight as symptoms return if I stop.
It is almost impossible to be re referred to the skin clinic especially when everything is working well but it does worry me about long term effects or whether current practice offers other treatments.
Thanks, Sheila
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sree Krishna

by Dr Sree Krishna on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:01 pm

Re: Fexafenadine

Hi Sheila,

As I'm sure you're aware, cholinergic urticaria can be completely debilitating. I vividly remember a teenager who wouldn't attend school as the weals would break out during a short walk to school.

Fexofenadine is a clean drug and safe for long-term use. There are alternative treatments that I often recommend when antihistamines have failed to work (e.g. propranolol) but I think you're safer on the treatment you're already on.

Best wishes,

Sree
Dr Sreedhar Krishna
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Clinical Fellow in Dermatopathology

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... ar-krishna

2 posts