Birthmarks

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
auntiedat

by auntiedat on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Birthmarks

I have a large birthmark on my face, including in and around my eye. Over the years it seems to be getting darker. I've recently been suffering from mental health issues including anxiety and depression. This has led me to become socially isolated as I am so conscious about my appearance. I've become rather paranoid about leaving the house or being in social places. I have in the past explored the possibility of having my birthmark laser removed but the treatment was not successful. I’ve also tried camouflage creams but they were not suitable for my skin. I would like to explore the idea of skin camouflage again (with the hope that it will make be more confident with venturing out) and recently came across a product called microskin. I’m even willing to try laser removal again. Can you give any advice about these options or suggest alternatives?

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:01 pm

Re: Birthmarks

I am sorry to hear you are finding your birthmark difficult to cope with, especially if you are feeling anxious and depressed. I think you should talk to your GP and explain how you are feeling, there may be options for NHS referral for an opinion on possible laser treatment, although this depends on local referral criteria. Did you previously see a camouflage practioner who skin matched you and helped you with correct application? It really will make a different to have this appointment and with camouflage your birth mark could be totally covered, allowing you to become more confident again. I highly recommend that you contact a fantastic charity called Changing Faces: https://www.changingfaces.org.uk
Changing Faces can give you psychological support, via their telephone support line and help you to find a camouflage consultant (although currently due to covid-19, camouflage appointments are temporarily paused).
I hope this information is helpful. All the best.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

2 posts