Seborrheic Keratosis

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Pearl1957

by Pearl1957 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:23 am

Seborrheic Keratosis

I was worried about a growth on the back of my neck and referred to a photo imaging clinic to check if skin cancer but merely seborrheic keratosis and as usual told it runs in families and comes with age and no advice how to manage it. I was told the same with atopic eczema and seborrheic dermatitis. It would be helpful to for once to be referred to a dermatologist but impossible and after 45 years of suffering skin conditions I do what I can but the psychological damage is done.

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Re: Seborrheic Keratosis

HI there,

Sorry to hear you've really suffered with your skin over the years.

With regards to seborrheic keratoses, these are benign, warty growths that we often accumulate over time. Unfortunately, these don't tend to be treated in standard NHS clinics, because luckily they are not harmful. However, this can often feel very frustrating.

They can be frozen off with liquid nitrogen, or removed by surgical means (often a simple procedure), but this may be something that would need to be done by a private Dermatologist. I would advise you chat to your GP to see what is offered locally.

I hope that helps.

Very best wishes,

Dr Emma
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts