perimenopause skin itching

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Sarahjane3

by Sarahjane3 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:56 am

perimenopause skin itching

Hi, I'm perimenopause and it's really effecting my skin. I get white heads before my period much more than I did in my youth and my face and top of my back itches so much. I was put on
Femoston, as an insulin dependent diabetic I was having major blood glucose swings and this was tried to stabilise hormones. My skin got instantly better but the high week of bg I was having turned into 2 weeks in my second month so I have stopped and the itching has returned. I'm on metaformin for pcos hormones and started taking evening primrose to help settle hormones. Have you got any advice please I only stopped the tablets 2 days ago and my skin is constantly itching and i am getting inflamed spots again? Thanks!

Dr Nevianna Bordet

by Dr Nevianna Bordet on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 pm

Re: perimenopause skin itching

Around the time of the menopause it is common to experience changes in the skin. Often the skin can become dry and this alone can lead to itching. Try using a moisturiser that is designed for dry skin/ eczema prone skin. Generally, an ointment at night time (this is more greasy) and a cream or lotion during the day (this absorbs more readily) can help. Being diabetic complicates things so I would advise that you see your doctor if your itch is ongoing as further investigation may be needed.
Dr Nevianna Bordet
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bordet.php

2 posts