Post-Menopausal Blood streaking

Post your abnormal bleeding questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:20 am

Post-Menopausal Blood streaking

I had menopause about 7 years ago, which started at 48-49.
I have been having low pelvic discomfort and lower back pain since March this year and one occurrence of dark coloured, blood streaks back in June. Also upper abdominal pain since November.
CT scan in January stated possible fibroid, but Ultrasound scan in August was inconclusive of anything in pelvis. I am terrified of Trans Vaginal ultrasound after bad experience some years ago, would MRI scan show clearer results? Or, would I have to have a hysteroscopy.
Many Thanks
Sue
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Varsha Jain

by Dr Varsha Jain on Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Re: Post-Menopausal Blood streaking

Dar Sue,

Many thanks for your question. The guidelines suggest that in view of your post-menopausal bleeding episode, you do need a referral to gynaecology services, often to a "postmenopausal bleeding" (PMB) clinic. The GP should be able to organise this for you.

Transvaginal ultrasound is the best way of looking at the lining of the womb (endometrium) in this instance, as the thickness is important. It would require a discussion with your gynaecologist if this is a route you are not wanting to go down and a trans-abdominal ultrasound was possibly not helpful (the gynaecologist can review the transabdominal ultrasound report and decide this). The gynaecologist can then discuss next steps with you.

I would recommend asking the GP for a referral sooner rather than later. PMB clinics have still been up and running during COVID so don't worry about that.

Best wishes,

Varsha Jain
Dr Varsha Jain
Wellbeing of Women Clinical Research Training Fellow

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... arsha-jain

2 posts