Mucus cysts on end joints of fingers.

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Aspertrust

by Aspertrust on Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:44 pm

Mucus cysts on end joints of fingers.

Hello, I'm a 61 yr old Male who for the most part has lead an active and physical lifestyle, well up until the last few years but that's another tale. As the subject line says I have recently been afflicted with a mucus cyst on the first and mainly middle finger DIP Joints on my right hand, Now the one on my middle finger has recently started to ooze clear sticky fluid and the joint has become very unsightly. It regularly Bursts leaving a hole in the side of my finger where all the fluid has wept out. I have spoken to my GP and she has said there is not a lot that can be done other there than drain the sac every few days to couple of weeks,which seems a tad excessive to have to keep going to the surgery to have this thing drained. I forgot to mention that I play Bass guitar and the fingers affected are my picking fingers which is also making my hobby difficult to do.
So my questions are..
1. Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?
2. Is there anything that can be done to stop the cyst from re-filling all the time?
3. Are there any exercises I can use to help straighten out the finger ends?

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Re: Mucus cysts on end joints of fingers.

A mucus (or synovial) cyst occurs when there is an outpouching of the synovial membrane that lines a joint, usually on the distal (end) joints of the fingers as a result of osteoarthritis. It is a bit like the inner tube of a bicycle tyre bulging outwards and sometimes these cysts can rupture and leak synovial fluid (the fluid that heps lubricate the joint). Sometimes once these cysts have burst they will not recur and things can also settle down with time, but unfortunately they often do recur. Deliberately bursting them yourself with a needle or by squeezing them is not a good idea because the open wound communicates directly with the inside of the joint and infection be introduced which can be a serious condition. If you have frequent paiful cycts, it may be worth asking your GP to refer you to a hand surgeion for further advice. Sometimes cysts can be managed surgically, especially if there is a small osteophyte (piece of bone) contributing to the cyst, but again they can sometimes recur even after surgery,but ask your GP for a referral.

Dr Wendy Holden
Consultant Rheumatologist and Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action.
https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/

020 3781 7120

2 posts