Pain and numbness

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Leerroy17

by Leerroy17 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:16 am

Pain and numbness

Yesterday I had to come home early from work as I had numb thighs and they were extremely painful. I have query anklosing spondylitis and I collapse often as I have 3 discs in my spine and 2 in my neck pressing on my spinal cord. The pain is mostly in my si joints and often get numb feet and hands but the numb thighs is new.

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:30 pm

Re: Pain and numbness

Hello. Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a long-term condition, in which spinal and other joints can become inflamed and can lead to spinal joints becoming fused in fixed positions. The disease progression of AS can be highly unpredictable. In general, the treatment follows a multi-modal approach:
    exercises: the NHS offers appropriate group exercise classes. It would be worthwhile approaching your GP for a referral to one in your area. Requesting an onward referral to your local NHS or private physiotherapist would also be useful in this regard. After a full and detailed assessment, your physiotherapist will be able to prescribe exercises that are specifically targeted to your abilities and your symptoms. There are a number of exercises which would be very helpful in controlling pain and neural symptoms (such as numbness).
      physiotherapy: manual therapy can be helpful in relieving pain and stiffness, improving mobility and function. Other manual therapies such as osteopathy are also helpful.
        medication: I assume that as you have a diagnosis of AS, you are in contact with your GP and an appropriate consultant. If not, I highly recommend discussing this with your GP.

Physiotherapy (exercise prescription and manual therapy) can be very successful in treating disc-related pain. Your GP would be able to help you access your local NHS or private physiotherapist.
        Tracy Corbett
        Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

2 posts