Foot pain

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Di Graham

by Di Graham on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:31 am

Foot pain

I've been diagnosed with arthritis which affects the top of my right foot---in the spot where shoes laces lie. The problem makes me limp which, in turn, affects my back so I have pain there too, which is often worse than the foot pain!!
Currently waiting to see a hospital podiatrist for new insoles. Is there anything else I can try to help myself?? I do Tai Chi which keep me mobile but, depending on which movements I'm doing, can also aggravate this situation. I seem to be going round in circles!

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:21 am

Re: Foot pain

Midfoot pain is a common site for osteoarthritis, but as with other types of arthritis, there is a lot that you can do to help yourself. Keeping to a healty weight is definitely very important as is keeping moving, so you are doing the right thing with Tai Chi. Insoles can definitely help, so podiatry is essential, but sometimes people find that the hard insoles provided by the NHS may not help. Softer gel insoles that can be bought over-the counter cheaply, or more expensive custom-made insoles provided by private podiatrists may be worth investing in if simple measures don't help. Paying attantion to your shoes is also essential and most people find that trainer-type shoes or ones with thick soles are better then flat shoes or going barefoot and it might be worth having a pair of trainers for indoor use too. From a biomechanical prespective, manual therapies, for example osteopathic treatment, to improve the function of nerby joints can also be worth trying. Medically, rub on anti-inflammatory gels, simple painkillers and joint injections may have a place, as does surgery as a last resort.

Dr Wendy Holden
Consultant Rheumatologist and Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action.
https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/

020 3781 7120

Di Graham

by Di Graham on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks for your reply. That all makes sense.
I'm already wearing thicker soled trainer like shoes and modern slip on's with thicker soles as anything with shoes laces isn't comfortable. I've been offered a steroid injection as a last resort but am not keen on that since it'll mask the problem.
I agree with your observation about NHS insoles. I was given some a few years ago to help with the pain of a Morton's Neuroma in my left foot. They fell apart very quickly so I bought over the counter ones which were just as good if not better.
I went private and had cryosurgery done to freeze/shrink the neuroma. There seems to be ( I think) only one Podiatrist in the UK who does it. That was most successful--well worth the money.
I'll look into the osteopathy side too.
Thanks.

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:34 pm

Dear Di
Dr Holden's advice is excellent and detailed. I'd just like to add that an experienced musculoskeletal physiotherapist would be able to help with creating a specific exercise programme to deal with your foot mobility (this can also be quite pain-relieving), as well as your lower back pain, manual therapy for your foot joints and soft tissue, as well as self-management techniques for pain relief such as kinesiotaping, self-massage/mobilisation.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

4 posts