Pins and needles in hands and feet

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:17 pm

Pins and needles in hands and feet

For many years I have had a slight ache in the bottom of my back and just before lock down the doctor suggested I went for an ultrascan, which was cancelled. The pain seems to happen when I was standing still for too long and feels like I had a heavy bag on just one side (always the same side). Recently the pain has increased and have asked the doctor to put in for another appointment. Four weeks ago I was out shopping and had been sitting down, I got up quickly and the pain in my side was hugely intense for 20 seconds and I actually felt I was going to fall over. When I got home I noticed I had bad pins and needles in both hands and feet. After 2 weeks the pins and needles hadn’t gone, I spoke to the doctor who ordered blood tests and everything has come back normal. I am not over weight and regularly go to the gym 3 times a week. The doctor has now said to call again in 3 weeks time if not better. Having investigated further on the internet and without trying to frighten myself too much – I am wondering if this could be a form of spondylosis?
Thank you, Caroline
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Matthew Rogers

by Matthew Rogers on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:16 am

Re: Pins and needles in hands and feet

The nerves to the arms are not the same nerves as those that supply the legs, so it is a little unusual to have pins and needles in both the upper and lower limbs. If you are not going to go back to the GP for three weeks, have you considered getting an appointment with a private osteopath or physiotherapist who could perform neurological tests? They could then hopefully put your mind at ease or write to your GP with their findings to ensure you get the most appropriate onward referral. You can find an osteopath near you at https://members.iosteopathy.org/find-an-osteopath
Matthew Rogers
Head of Professional Development, the Institute of Osteopathy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... rogers.php

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Re: Pins and needles in hands and feet

Dear Caroline
I like it when patients do some research themselves, I think it shows a motivation to manage their condition and to take responsibility for their management. Having said that, do try not to frighten yourself too much! I would recommend going back to your GP and asking for a referral to a spinal orthopaedic surgeon for a review. When a physiotherapist does a spinal assessment, one of the questions we ask is whether you have pins and needles in both hands or both feet. We consider this a "red flag" symptom and will during the course of the assessment, try to determine whether an onward referral is necessary.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

3 posts