Hot flushes and irritability with tamoxifen

Post your questions on menopause here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Ratbagtazbag

by Ratbagtazbag on Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:19 pm

Hot flushes and irritability with tamoxifen

Hi, After being diagnosed with an estrogen positive breast cancer in March I was started on tamoxifen post surgery in April. I have since been suffering with hot flushes and increased irritability. Is there any herbal supplements I can take safely with tamoxifen and a history or estrogen positive cancer? Many thanks for reading.

Anita Ralph

by Anita Ralph on Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Re: Hot flushes and irritability with tamoxifen

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing hot flushes and mood changes at a time when you have already been through such a lot. I do hope your surgery was successful and you are now on the road to recovery. Aromatase inhibitor drugs like tamoxifen are designed to block all the oestrogen in your body and do typically put women in to extreme menopause very quickly. Obviously, no herbal medicine would be able to replace that oestrogen, nor would it be desirable to do so. There are lots of medical herbalists up and down the country who work alongside oncology clinics, and in breast cancer care charities who provide expert help to women recovering from their diagnosis and treatment (including The Haven centres).

Some symptoms you describe in this scenario are not purely the result of the lowered oestrogen levels however, but are also about ‘shock’ and the hormonal and nervous system response to that ‘shock’.

In other words, if you can soothe your nervous system sufficiently, you may find you are able to reduce your symptoms markedly, and over time your body will ‘settle in’ to this fast induced menopause.

It is difficult to advise you with everything you could do via this forum, and you may like to go to see a qualified medical herbalist who can take a detailed case history and give you lots of supportive measures as you try to regain balance following the surgery and then the 5 (?) years of tamoxifen.

Things you could be thinking about in the meantime however are: reducing ‘stimulants’ in your diet (caffeine, sugar, nicotine, alcohol), and replacing them with soothing nervous system herb teas such as chamomile flowers (Matricaria recutita), lemon balm leaves (Melissa officinalis), Lavender flowers (Lavandula officinalis), for example. These would be lovely all mixed together.

You could also ensure your diet is rich in green leafy vegetables (especially watercress and kale), flax seeds, nuts, seeds, beans and lentils as these will provide you with anti-oxidants and essential nutrients for your bones, gut health and other tissues, whilst stabilising blood sugar levels, and reducing blood vessel spasm. Flax seeds and lentils do not contain oestrogen despite the fact they are referred to as containing ‘phyto-oestrogens’. This is a mis-understood term, as this is not an oestrogen at all, and in fact foods like this can help your body produce a range of cancer-protective compounds.

Drink plenty of water, and herb teas to keep hydrated. Use a probiotic such as ‘Optibac Every Day’ to complement your diet as research shows better outcomes for women after breast cancer treatment if their gut microbiome is improved.

There are also other herbs that a medical herbalist could prescribe you, that would not be available over-the-counter, and could only be prescribed following a consultation. The National Institute of Medical Herbalists has a list of qualified registered practitioners www.nimh.org.uk But I am sure you will find some benefits from using the herbs I have suggested in the meantime.
Anita Ralph
Consulting Medical Herbalist - MSc (herb med) MNIMH MCPP

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... nita-ralph

2 posts