Any helpful suggestions, please?

If you have questions about prostate health please post them here for our experts and charity partners to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
bohemicus

by bohemicus on Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:09 pm

Any helpful suggestions, please?

Hello,

I am 49 years old man with multiple disabilities, plus Diabetes 2. Years ago, I have been diagnosed with underactive/overactive bladder by the urologist at my local hospital (Southmead Hospital). Since then the condition got worse: I get this painful urge of having my bladder full, and being desperate to go and empty my bladder. But as soon as I sit down on the toilet, I am still having problems with emptying, and often have to push hard in order to get a bit more comfortable.

I am a full-time carer with mobility issues, so I cannot see my GP easily, and would like some suggestions how I could improve my bladder/prostate health by myself, if at all possible, by diet etc. I rather suspect that the prostate canal got narrower over a period of time, and this could be making me uncomfortable when urinating.

I've never had an STD, plus any UTI that takes place over warm summer months would usually be sorted out by a course of antibiotics.

Thank you for any helpful suggestions you may have.

Pieter Meiring

by Pieter Meiring on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Re: Any helpful suggestions, please?

Dear bohemicus

Many thanks for your message.

The good news is that some of the dietary changes you can make to support your bladder and prostate may also support your overall health.

My first recommendation would be to make sure you’re drinking enough water. Concentrated urine can irritate the bladder and lead to urgency and UTIs. 1.5 - 2 litres of water a day is a good amount, drunk between meals.

Secondly, I would recommend avoiding acidic foods and drinks that can further irritate the bladder. These foods include coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, alcohol, spicy foods, tomato-based foods, fruit juices and some fruits (especially oranges). For prostate health specifically I would recommend eating a more plant-based Mediterranean style diet with plenty of whole grains, beans, vegetables, fruits, seeds, fish and olive oil (more info: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... t-20047801).

There are some supplements that you may also want to consider taking to support your prostate and also your overall health. These include Vitamin D3, a mineral supplement and some probiotics. Herbal medicines that may be useful are those that soothe the walls of the bladder and also promote urine flow. These include horsetail, marshmallow and dandelion leaf. Drinking non-caffeinated herbal teas will also help to increase your fluid intake.

I hope you find this general advice helpful, I would recommend that you seek advice from a trained professional before purchasing supplements etc., either a medical herbalist or a nutritional therapist.

With best wishes,
Pieter

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Bohemicus
Pieter has given you all very sensible advice.
i would add that Underactive bladder is usually a diagnosis made after urodynamic studies and you should have these if you haven't.
You might be helped by an alpha blocker type medication. Unfortunately there isn't a bladder power UP pill but reducing the outflow can sometimes help.
If you aren't getting anywhere you have a right to a second opinion, ideally with a functional urologist, and they could look into things a bit further.
Ben
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

Dr Prasanna Sooriakumaran

by Dr Prasanna Sooriakumaran on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Dear Bohemius

I would recommend avoidance of caffeine, spicy foods, acidic drinks, and plenty of water. You can also try bladder training exercises (timed voiding), and if things don't improve in the next 2 months, go and see a urologist if possible. They will then do some basic tests like a flow rate, check you empty your bladder, urine and blood tests, an ultrasound scan, and possibly have a look inside the water pipe and bladder with a small telescope (cystoscopy).

All the best

PS scastle@santishealth.org
Dr Prasanna Sooriakumaran
Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... umaran.php

4 posts