changes to diet to lower risk

If you have questions about prostate health please post them here for our experts and charity partners to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Maxi05

by Maxi05 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:06 pm

changes to diet to lower risk

There's a history of prostate cancer in my family and I was wondering whether there are any changes I can make to my diet that can help lower my risk of getting it?

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Re: changes to diet to lower risk

Our dietician may be able to help you more specifically but a diet high in fruit and veg is sensible. particularly tomatoes which have good levels of lycopenes in.
Reduce red meat and drink plenty of fluid.
you should have a PSA test if over 45 and then an MRI if indicated before any biopsy

ben
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

Dr Prasanna Sooriakumaran

by Dr Prasanna Sooriakumaran on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm

Dear Sir

A positive family history of prostate cancer in your father or brother doubles your lifetime risk of getting the disease yourself unfortunately. I would thus advise you get a PSA test and see a urologist if abnormal. Much has been written (including by me!) about diet and prostate cancer, but the only good evidence is for green tea!

However, generally what's good for your heart is good for your prostate. So lots of fruit and veg is good as well, but the key is to get properly tested.

Cheers

PS scastle@santishealth.org
Dr Prasanna Sooriakumaran
Consultant Urological Surgeon

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... umaran.php

Pieter Meiring

by Pieter Meiring on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:47 pm

Dear Maxi05

Thank you for your question.

I agree that dietary changes that would benefit your health generally would also benefit your prostate health. A diet where you avoid very acidic foods (include coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, alcohol, spicy foods) would be beneficial. For prostate health specifically a more plant-based Mediterranean style diet with plenty of whole grains, beans, vegetables, fruits, seeds, fish and olive oil would be good - you can read more here https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... t-20047801.

As a herbalist, I would usually also recommend Crataeva, Nettle root and Couch grass teas. These are all very beneficial for prostate health, and taking these herbs as a tea has the additional benefit of increasing your intake of fluids. Saw Palmetto supplements may further help to reduce the risk, though I would recommend that you consult a nutritionist or herbalist for more specific advice depending on your personal circumstances.

Best wishes,
Pieter

4 posts