Weather affecting my skin

Post your questions related to sensitive skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Dancing Queen

by Dancing Queen on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:14 pm

Weather affecting my skin

I’m going out for daily works at the moment and the wind and rain is really affecting my sensitive skin – what is the best way to protect my skin when I’m outside in the cold/wind/rain?

Dr Mary Sommerlad

by Dr Mary Sommerlad on Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:05 pm

Re: Weather affecting my skin

Hi!

Our skin takes a real battering from the elements during the winter months. The best way to protect sensitive skin is to use cleansers and moisturisers that restore the skin barrier and smooth the skin. With cleansers, look for ingredients that lack SLS which can dry the skin out too much. You can wash with a non fragranced, cream or ointment based moisturiser as a soap substitute. This will reduce irritation to the skin barrier. Keep showers and baths to body temperature and no hotter and to under 10minutes. Hot showers in the winter contribute to disrupting the skin barrier and making skin more sensitive.

For moisturisers look for products that contain ingredients that smooth and nourish than skin barrier. Niacinamide and ceramides, Shea butter, Hyaluronic acid and glycerin are good ingredients to look out for. Apply moisturisers as soon as you finish washing and also re- apply before leaving for your outdoor exercise. If you are out in windy weather, avoiding walking with the wind blowing in your face as this can irritate sensitive skin. Consider a soft, low friction balaclava (the ones people who Ski wear) if the weather is particularly bad. As soon as you come home, reapply your moisturiser. It’s important that you use a moisturiser that is non- comedogenic (low risk for developing spots). A good quality hand cream and the use of gloves everyday when outside will also help if your hands get sensitive.

Look for brands that focus on sensitive skin. Review products online especially customer reviews.

best of luck
Dr Mary Sommerlad
Consultant Dermatologist

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... -sommerlad

2 posts