How do I tell my husband to wear SPF?!

Post your questions related to skin cancer and moles here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
alison12

by alison12 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:24 pm

How do I tell my husband to wear SPF?!

My husband who is in denial that his hair is thinning is also a golfer.... I know that he really should always wear a hat when out or at least put on strong SPF on the top of his head. Please can you advise me what I can possibly say to get him to do this and explain to him the issues that can arise if he doesn't cover his head. He drives me NUTS!
alison12
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Re: How do I tell my husband to wear SPF?!

Thank you for your question Alison. Please forward this message from me to your Husband!

Dear Alison's Husband,

I have been informed that you, like many other men I see in my clinic are slightly reluctant to apply sunscreen.

One of the most common places that I see pre-cancers and skin cancers (such as Squamous Cell Carcinoma) are on top of the scalp in men who have thinning hair. In fact there is a published study that has purely looked at the significant increased risk of skin cancers in golfers. Basal Cell carcinomas, Squamous cell carcinomas (SCC) and melanoma risk will be increased in golfers with sun exposure.

The only definitive way of treating SCC or melanoma is surgically, and as I am typing this note I have just finished operating on a man with a large SCC on his scalp that has required a one and half hour procedure, I've had to move around half his scalp to repair the large defect. It will be be many weeks until the area heals, and he will need 4 monthly follow ups over the next 2-3 years. And during this time we hope that the cancer does not spread to his lymph nodes.

The best way to combat this is to either wear a hat or SPF 50 when in the sun. The SPF should be applied every 2 hours.

I hope this helps in convincing you to protect your skin.

Your Friendly Dermatologist! :)
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts