UTI's

Post your questions related to kidney matters here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:53 pm

UTI's

I am 70. Have had persistant UTI's for around 13 years. Have been seen by urologists at Royal London hospital over the time, when I take anti biotics I have to take for 10 days as 7 days doesn't totally clear it.
I had an allergic reaction to Trimethoprim, so the drugs that usually work is Cefalexin, Nitrofurintoin, & Ciprofloxacin. I also did a 6 months 1 antibiotic at night amoxicillin which helped for a while.
I had a (non malignant) partial nephrectomy 3 years ago, partly by chance when I had a routine scan which showed a small lump, unfortunately it was not related to these UTI's & just a coincidence.
I am always aware when I am getting symptoms, mainly the ammonia smell. I wouldn't say it is cystitis as there is no burning when passing. The urine tests are usually sent away & the results always seem to include e-coli. I do drink lots of water & have always done so since a child.
SO experts, what do you suggest please? Could it be stress related or something else that hasn't been picked up?
Thanks for any advice.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Re: UTI's

I get a lot of UTIs and sometimes really cant be bothered to go to the doctors and hope that the infection will pass – but it crossed my mind that I might be damaging my kidneys – could this be the case?
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Mr Ken Anson

by Mr Ken Anson on Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:50 pm

I am presuming that you are a lady and, if 70 years of age, will be post menopausal. I am not sure how long ago you had any scans performed but assuming that your kidneys and bladder are OK then the commonest cause for UTIs in a lady of your age is related to vaginal health. This deteriorates as the oestrogen levels fall after the menopause and can lead to a loss of your own resistance to UTIs. I would ask your GP for a vaginal assessment as topical oestrogen therapy can be very beneficial.
Of course a high fluid intake is critical to reduce your risks as well and this must be maintained when you are infection free.
Finally uncomplicated bladder infections do not cause kidney damage in adults.
Hope this helps.
Mr Ken Anson
Consultant Urological Surgeon
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _anson.php

heatherH

by heatherH on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:37 pm

I want to thank Mr. Anson for his advice. My GP has previously prescribed me Ovestin, which I assume you were referring to? I have started using it again. I still don't understand why the infections are bacterial or contain E-coli? Yes I am a 70 year old woman!

4 posts