kidney stones

Post your questions related to kidney matters here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:59 pm

kidney stones

What is a kidney stone – and do you have to have them removed or do they pass through as my doctor has suggested I might have one and need an xray?
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Mr Ken Anson

by Mr Ken Anson on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:52 pm

Re: kidney stones

Thanks for the question - it could have a very long answer but I will try to keep it short. A kidney stone is a crystallisation of some constituents of your urine into a solid stone. These can be small or large and often do not cause any symptoms and we are increasingly finding them as "incidental findings " when patients are having scans for other problems.
Of course we all know of the dreadful pain patients can experience if the stone moves out of the kidney into the tube between it and the bladder (the ureter). In addition stones can cause blood in the urine, urinary infection, intermittent back pain (below the ribs and one side or the other but not typically in the middle of the back) and can lead to kidney damage of the the drainage of the kidney is blocked for a period of time.
As far as treatment is concerned the majority of stones 'on the move" will pass spontaneously but we do need to treat them if they are too big or the pain is dreadful and not controlled and if they cause infection or are threatening to damage the kidney.
I hope that answers your question - if your Dr thinks you should have some xrays then I would recommend you take their advice.
Mr Ken Anson
Consultant Urological Surgeon
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _anson.php

Mr Joe Philip

by Mr Joe Philip on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Re: kidney stones

In addition to Ken's reply; I would add that small stones should and could pass. The treatment for stones which do not pass and/or are considered too large to pass can be treated with non surgical treatment using ultrasound shock wave to fragment the stone or surgical treatment either through the urethra (wee pipe) or key hole into the kidney for large stones.

3 posts