Looking for further help

Clinical experts, including Dr Jamal Hayat, and Julie Thompson, will be available from 12-23 April to answer questions on issues surrounding bowel incontinence, bowel cancer, constipation, IBS and any other bowel issues.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:12 pm
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:11 pm

Looking for further help

I’m a long time sufferer of IBS worsening as I get older...and this wasn’t taken into consideration by GPs.
Therefore I’m initiating a personal investigation, ending up with a referral to the Old Homeopathic Hospital. But discharged very soon.
I wondering where else I can find help?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

User avatar
Julie Thompson
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:24 pm
Report Quote

by Julie Thompson on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:22 pm

Re: Looking for further help


Thank you for your question. If symptoms are worsening as you get older it is worth considering whether you have developed another condition but this would mean that the symptoms should be checked again by your doctor to make sure that they are not caused by something else.

There are a number of new treatments that have ben recently developed depending on what your symptoms are and sometimes people who have been diagnosed for some time may not always be aware of them. Please have a look at the IBS Network self-care programme here https://www.theibsnetwork.org/the-self-care-programme/ and look through it by clicking on the symptoms sections and this will include new treatments which you can ask your doctor about.

There is a small amount of evidence that gut directed hypnotherapy can be helpful for some people and there is some information on the Guts UK information sheet on IBS - it is not widely available on the NHS unfortunately and you should check that the practitioner is registered with the correct registered body https://gutscharity.org.uk/advice-and-i ... -syndrome/ if you do wish to try it.

Living with these symptoms for some time can really affect a persons quality of life and it is not unknown for people to develop mental ill health because of having to live with a condition that is challenging to manage for a long while. If this is the case then CBT might be useful to try your GP can refer you although some services do accept self referral. Please see the link here to search for IAPT services in your area https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/other ... arch/10008
I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Julie Thompson
Gastroenterology Specialist Dietitian - BSc (Hons) Dietetics

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ompson.php

2 posts