Skin sensitivity and autism

Dr Anton Alexandroff, Dr Andrew Thompson and Dr Alia Ahmed will kindly be joining us to give advice on all things related to mental health in relation to skin conditions on Thursday 15 April but the clinic will be open from Monday 12 April for you to post your questions in advance.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:11 pm

Skin sensitivity and autism

I would like to know if there is a link between skin sensitivity (eczema, reactive skin, rosacea) and autism.

I was only diagnosed ASC aged 57 but have had sensory and physical sensitivities my whole life. Including my digestion and the above skin issues.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Alia Ahmed

by Dr Alia Ahmed on Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Re: Skin sensitivity and autism

Thank you for your question. There has been reported an entity known as 'tactile sensory dysfunction' in people with ASD, which includes hypersensitivity and hyposensitivity to certain stimuli (e.g. texture, temperature, touch).This could result in symptoms of skin sensitivity to certain clothes, textures or changes in temperature. This can be very distressing, and if you have a pre-existing skin condition then it can make the skin feel worse (even when applying medication topically). I hope this information is helpful.
Dr Alia
Dr Alia Ahmed
Consultant Dermatologist - BSc MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ahmed.php

2 posts