Permanent Fissure

BSF and talkhealth are teaming up to offer an online expert clinic on lichen sclerosus.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
m1ghtymum

by m1ghtymum on Mon May 10, 2021 11:27 am

Permanent Fissure

I was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus in 2016 and was unable to use steroid creams because they triggered recurrent outbreaks of genital herpes so I used a product called Emuaid instead. Later the same year I had a skin biopsy which confirmed I no longer had an active outbreak and all examinations since have shown the lichen sclerosus is dormant.
However, I am now experiencing issues with a 2-3 cm fissure where the inner and outer labia meet – it bleeds from time to time and makes it extremely uncomfortable to sit for long periods. My GP gave me a prescription for Xemacort which healed the fissure the first time but it has happened twice since and none of the normal topical applications I would use have helped (Epaderm, Hydromol, Ovestin, Emu Oil, Emuaid, Olive & Bee). I also suffer from vulvodynia and have to be careful what I apply to my vulval and vaginal tissues.
Can you suggest any other product I could try or do I need to see a vulval dermatologist again if this fissure will not heal?

Dr Karen Gibbon

by Dr Karen Gibbon on Thu May 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Re: Permanent Fissure

I'm sorry you're having this issue. A persistent and unilateral fissure that won't heal or recurs quickly does need to be seen by a dermatologist. A further biopsy could be considered if topical therapy of the right kind remains ineffective.
Dr Karen Gibbon
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... gibbon.php

2 posts