LS spreading - non-responsive to treatment

BSF and talkhealth are teaming up to offer an online expert clinic on lichen sclerosus.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest222

by Guest222 on Mon May 10, 2021 12:16 pm

LS spreading - non-responsive to treatment

Hi, I am wondering what the protocol is for treatment when steroid ointment is failing to stop the spread of the LS - in my case white patches. I have been using the clobetasol 0.05% daily since February, following the advice from Dr Goldstein to soak the area first for 10 min in luke warm water , or at least after a shower and then gently massage ointment in to the area for 2 mins. No soap etc. I do this over the entire vulva area. Then apply a Danish brand fat cream similar to hydromol (Dr. Warming - containing paraffin) 30 mins later. I notice the white patches continue to spread despite diligent maintaining. I keep the area moist all day with aveeno also. I am trying some oils such as olive oil. Apparently coconut is drying. I soak in Epsom salts a couple of times a week too. The LS is also 'at the back'. And I have some with fusing around urethra and by perineum meaning dyspareunia. My gynecologist recommended I alternate between clobetasol and 0.03% protopic tacrolimus, since a month ago. The same time I was given 0.1%ovestin which I apply to whole vulva area. Gynecologist said there was some atrophy due to clobetasol.

Is there anything else that can be tried. I am 40 now, but had the symptoms since at least 37. Strength of ointments increased? Is tracolimus even recommended?
Many thanks indeed. ❤️🌸

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Fri May 14, 2021 2:36 pm

Re: LS spreading - non-responsive to treatment

I am so sorry to hear about your skin problem. Yes protopic is recomended (off licence). Yes oral treatments can be tried such as Roacutane, acitretin, methotrexate.

I hope this is helpful.
Best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts