Dermovate application.

BSF and talkhealth are teaming up to offer an online expert clinic on lichen sclerosus.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Petunia1

by Petunia1 on Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 am

Dermovate application.

I was diagnosed with LS 4 weeks ago. I am 51 and had the menopause over 10 years ago with absolutely no problems. I have had trouble with anal fissures for a few years and had trouble defacating, I have had a few colonoscopies and an operation for a fissure and piles. Back in Oct I was given oestrogen pessaries for atrophy. My only vulva symtoms are large white patches. I have been using dermovate as advised, rubbing into the white patches once a day. Can I just ask do I need to use the dermovate on the whole vulva or just on the patches ?

Dr Jane Sterling

by Dr Jane Sterling on Thu May 13, 2021 2:28 pm

Re: Dermovate application.

If the only features on the vulva – seen both by yourself and the doctor – are white areas, then that is where the topical steroid should be applied. Sometimes it is difficult to see all the features of lichen sclerosus when examining yourself, so it is sensible to be guided by your doctor.
From what you have said, it is important that the skin around the anus is also examined, as lichen sclerosus can affect that area as well. If that area also has lichen sclerosus, then it could be treated in the same way.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts